Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
AndrewT
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Master cyilinder

Post by AndrewT »

Best place to perchase a master cyl for my s2 54?
Pedal is awful really have to stamp on the pedal for a brake even then there poor it already has new cylinders shoes and pipes apart from the master cyl and rubber pipes thinking might be best to fit a new master cyl and rubbers pipes then the whole system would be new
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Re: Master cyilinder

Post by firedrake1942 »

CW do a 'master cylinder (early) for £75.00

https://www.morrisminor.org.uk/parts/39 ... e-size=all

ESM Have one for 59 which it says fits all (???) and a cheaper pattern cylinder (- I am temperamentally disinclined to fit pattern parts )

http://www.morrisminorspares.com/brakes-c42

Moss also do not distinguish between early and later and at £76 is comparable to CW (NB States Lockheed part.)

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-m ... minor.html
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ianmack »

Just a thought but have you driven any other Minors to compare? If you otherwise drive only moderns then Minor brakes can seem wooden and ineffective even if they are in good order.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Not sure I quite agree with you there Ian. A Minor with a standard braking system in tip-top order is pretty damn good, in my view. I often have to stop suddenly in the narrow, twisty lanes down here and never feel the braking is sub-standard. It may be the case that a lot of old Moggies could do with a braking system refurb. Having said that, I don't drive a 'modern' so I can't compare. When I sit in a friend's modern car, its like getting into a spaceship to me! :lol:
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

I'm not sure how you can disagree if you don't drive moderns. Morris brakes in good condition are adequate for the car's modest performance but do require a good shove if you need to stop quickly. Many modern cars need only the lightest touch for normal use and a firm prod will have the car standing on its nose.
AndrewT
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewT »

Spoke to a chap at Charles today he informed me that the late will fit my early the only difference is the inner being slightly big in bore,he just said as long as I know I have the bigger bore fitted for future if I intended to buy a rebuild kit
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

ianmack wrote:I'm not sure how you can disagree if you don't drive moderns. Morris brakes in good condition are adequate for the car's modest performance but do require a good shove if you need to stop quickly. Many modern cars need only the lightest touch for normal use and a firm prod will have the car standing on its nose.
Well, its just that there is a myth occasionally put about that Minor brakes are somehow poor or dangerous. Usually repeated by people who have only driven Minors with neglected and out-of-tune braking systems, or who want to thrash the cars mercilessly. As you say, Minor brakes in good condition are adequate for the car's (normal) performance. Modern braking systems have evolved to match the higher speeds and acceleration of modern cars.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

have you still got the original 7'' front brakes, if so fit the later 8''' you will be amazed at how much better they are.the 9'' wolseley are even better but becoming a bit rare now.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

In all the years of driving my Morris Minor 1000 it has never been driven in accordance with its performance norms even on the 7" brakes and I never had brake problems or brake fade unlike my 1300cc Triumph Spitfire which had discs on the front.
Unless you intend to drive well in excess of the Ser2 Minors performance norms there is absolutely no need for bigger or more efficient brakes.
So long as the 7" brakes are in good working condition you will be alright.
Phil

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Like Phil, I have never experienced problems with the 7inch brakes on my earlier car. I also have a later Minor with the 8 inch brakes but I can't say the difference between the two is THAT great. The brakes on both cars are perfectly adequate for my purposes and I drive my cars fairly enthusiastically!
Dare I say that the main reason for the Minor's reputation of having "poor brakes" is that half the Morris Minors on the road are not maintained properly and have a leaking (or seized up) wheel cylinder or two and/or their owners have purchased the cheapest possible brake shoes.