Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
The vast minority
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

"D" on bulkhead

Post by The vast minority »

My own research on this hasn't provided a definitive answer.
Ive got a "D" on my very original 57 on the nearside bulkhead which looks very old.

Would be interested if anyone actually "knows" what it represents
Attachments
IMG_2657.JPG
IMG_2657.JPG (1.82 MiB) Viewed 2287 times
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Re: "D" on bulkhead

Post by firedrake1942 »

It is in the same place as the 'S' in this thread, and it was postulated that 'S' was for Synthetic paint. I cannot think what 'D' would have been.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=66936&p=607605&hil ... +D#p607605
The vast minority
Minor Fan

It is indeed in the same place as that S, that is the only other one I could find and that was the same car on another thread. The tread includes "Synobel" and "standard" as the suggestions. included below for ref.

As mine IS a deluxe and bears a D then maybe it is a designator of the trim level. So few will survive now that its probably going to be difficult to know for sure.

viewtopic.php?t=53914
Last edited by The vast minority on Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

Standard and Deluxe. Things like bumper over-riders to be fitted if it has a "D"
Cardiff, UK
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Were these on all cars ? I cannot remember seeing them anywhere else ? Just early 1000 other models / series? The one in the picture looks like a S2 from the absence of an under-bonnet wiper motor / air filter type / engine colour, so may be more widespread

Were they perhaps something that was removed / erased by the dealer prior to supply to customer or as an instruction to assembly line as to spec. etc?

Vast Minority can you let me have dimensions and exact positioning. I assume yours is a 4 door? When in 1957 was it made ?
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

As mentioned higher up this thread, 'S' on the bulkhead used to denote synthetic paint but only, I believe on earlier cars prior to approx April 1952 with SMM car number prefixes. With the introduction of F**** car numbers, the paint type was denoted by the fifth character of the number. E.G. FAA11-xxxxxx = MINOR/4-DOOR/BLACK/RHD/SYNTHETIC PAINT.

From Ray Newell's book, it seems likely that the 'D' for deluxe was discontinued when the 'MA***' car number prefixes were introduced.

The Minor 1000 chapter, page 69, section headed 'Identification, Dating & Production' states that these car numbers were 'often followed by L for left hand drive and D for deluxe' E.G. MA2S3-xxxxxx-D = 2-door RHD deluxe saloon. The paint-type indicator appears to have been dropped entirely at this time.

Deluxe specification was offered from October 1953. Ray Newell's book (page 55) gives details of the first car numbers involved but obviously no year-by-year or number-by-number breakdown of deluxe production figures. Probably safe to assume that the 'D' on the bulkhead originates from this time. Also very safe to assume that many cars have lost this feature during restoration, including my '56 deluxe Series 2, so I'd be interested to know the size/style/location of the 'D' as well.
1956 4-door called Max
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Had to do something as "white" paint became an option.

M/AS3DL 678901
White Plastic "BMC 61" tag on 1959 N'th America

"SYN" only on MM's eye fink?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I've only ever seen that stencilled "D" on deluxe cars so would assume it to denote that trim level during assembly. Also, I have only seen it on fairly early cars - it was replace by a paper label later, which has usually disappeared over the years.
The vast minority
Minor Fan

Thanks for responses, some I understand, others are pretty complex and I appreciate the efforts invested by all.
A few suggestions to contemplate. Whatever the reason, we can be sure this is an original D. This car hasn't been welded or had any bodywork done other than a few touch-ups here and there from carpark dings and things dropped on it. . Enclosed a random pic of the structure at the front to demonstrate this point and the dims as requested.
Attachments
IMG_2678.JPG
IMG_2678.JPG (2.21 MiB) Viewed 2198 times
IMG_2677.JPG
IMG_2677.JPG (1.98 MiB) Viewed 2198 times
IMG_2676.JPG
IMG_2676.JPG (1.97 MiB) Viewed 2198 times
IMG_2688.JPG
IMG_2688.JPG (1.82 MiB) Viewed 2198 times
IMG_2687.JPG
IMG_2687.JPG (1.66 MiB) Viewed 2198 times
IMG_2686.JPG
IMG_2686.JPG (1.93 MiB) Viewed 2198 times
IMG_2685.JPG
IMG_2685.JPG (1.83 MiB) Viewed 2198 times
IMG_2684.JPG
IMG_2684.JPG (2.15 MiB) Viewed 2198 times
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Many thanks

PB I will try and make up a stencil. I will let you know when done and send you a copy. I think the trick will be to make it look original ie not perfectly painted.

VastMinority (OP) has the 57 still got its NMP plate ?

JM
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Thanks to The Vast Minority for posting the pics. Very useful. Thanks also to FD1942. I'll have a crack at a stencil myself as well. I think I've got a 38mm stencil set somewhere. I'm pretty sure that juggling with 'I' and either 'O' or an inverted 'C' will produce reasonably accurate results. Will have to wait a couple of weeks. Sun, sea and sangria take priority!
Interesting and valid point from POMMreg too, regarding 'white' paintwork shades. :)
1956 4-door called Max
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

D for Deluxe, S for standard
Paint finish would have been recorded as you say in the chassis number, prior to this it would have been a paper sticker denoting standard or deluxe spec.