Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
will.broad
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Why O Why?

Post by will.broad »

I have seen this car advertised twice, one saying it's fully restored for over 4000 pounds and on another site saying it's an MOT failure for 2850 pounds.

Look at these adverts and decide for yourself!
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C557457

and same car mot failure

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1960-Morris- ... SwKgdad1xJ
Budgie
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Why O Why?

Post by Budgie »

yup, that's the same car for sure !!!
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

I looked on the DVLA site and it failed the MOT on the 23rd January and seems have corrosion. The MOT had run out on the 8th December and the tax has run out.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Looks like one can choose which condition one buys it in! :D

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Apologies for dragging this slightly off-topic but today I noticed, on our favourite auction site, a 1969 Morris Oxford being sold by a dealer with a new MOT (expires Jan 2019). Among the 'jobs needed to finish it', the listing states that the seat belts 'need refitting (if required).' Am I mistaken or would a lack of seatbelts be an MOT fail on a 1969 car....?
1956 4-door called Max
burnham28
Minor Fan

Post by burnham28 »

I don't think they are needed on a 1969 car but if they are fitted they must be working and pass the MOT. If fitted they must be used. That is what I understand to be correct but I may be wrong, I have been in the past according to the present Mrs. B.
[img]jpg[/img]
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

Unless I have misunderstood it, the Government website mentions a cutoff date of pre 1966 for seat belts being legally required.

Phil
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Various opinions on the net. FBHVC website states front seatbelts must be fitted on vehicles first registered on or after 1 January 1965, but only for driver and 'front outer passenger.' Presumably if the car has a '3-across' front bench, the person in the middle is excluded (not even a lap belt).

Footman James quote 1 January 1967.

A less reliable resource on Wikipedia gives a mandatory fitment date of 1 January 1968, for new registrations in the UK with retro-fitting mandatory to vehicles registered from 1 January 1965 (not sure about that bit!).

Couldn't find any useful info from DVLA/DVSA, but as Phil (above) has, chalk that up to my lack of patience with search engine results! :D
1956 4-door called Max
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

I understood that it was '65 ?. I hate them and removed all traces of them from my Minor purchases, and only slip them on in the modern when the law is in the vicinity. Only been "done" once---in Spain! Didn't realise it was an offence there at the time,and before this H&S obsessed county adopted it.
I view them as condoms-- ie false security :D
John
pde2000
Minor Friendly

Post by pde2000 »

The "AA book of the car" published in 1970 states that all cars registered after december 31st 1964 must have front seat belts fitted (but no requirement to wear them). More recently the law requires that no child under the age of 3 travel in a car that is not fitted with seatbelts. This may at least prevent the premature deaths of some children, which is no joke.
Black 4door series2 deluxe 1954, mostly original, a bit tatty but reliable runner. purchased 1996
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

That takes me back! Is that the big chunky hard-backed book with the silver cover??
1956 4-door called Max
pde2000
Minor Friendly

Post by pde2000 »

palacebear wrote:That takes me back! Is that the big chunky hard-backed book with the silver cover??
That's the one. Very helpful for general repair and maintenance.
Black 4door series2 deluxe 1954, mostly original, a bit tatty but reliable runner. purchased 1996
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

midget wrote:I understood that it was '65 ?. I hate them and removed all traces of them from my Minor purchases, and only slip them on in the modern when the law is in the vicinity. Only been "done" once---in Spain! Didn't realise it was an offence there at the time,and before this H&S obsessed county adopted it.
I’ll have to respectfully beg to differ with you there.

If it wasn’t for seat belts I would almost certainly have been dead, not once, but twice by now.

But each to his own.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

midget wrote:I understood that it was '65 ?. I hate them and removed all traces of them from my Minor purchases, and only slip them on in the modern when the law is in the vicinity. Only been "done" once---in Spain! Didn't realise it was an offence there at the time,and before this H&S obsessed county adopted it.
Well it's your face through the windscreen in your 'modern', in fact it might be all of you, I feel sorry for the team that will have to find the pieces to put in the box.
In 1970 there were about 14 Million cars on UK roads, there's now about 33 Million.
Over the same period, road deaths have fallen from 8,000 to around 1,500.

I suppose you use your phone in the car too.... :cry:
Basil the 1955 series II