Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Chappers
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Another Glovebox restoration

Post by Chappers »

After reading the excellent post by Mark Wilson regarding his restoration of his Gloveboxes, link below;
viewtopic.php?t=67196

I was inspired to attempt his techniques on my own Gloveboxes.
On my car Maisie, a previous owner had installed a wood effect piece of hardboard over the drivers side aperture with 3 gauges in it.
Personally I didn't like this along with the wood rimmed steering wheel which I replaced a few weeks back.
On inspection, both Gloveboxes had been painted with emulsion in the past and it all looked rather awful.
As removed from car
IMG_1888.JPG
IMG_1888.JPG (3.86 MiB) Viewed 641 times
IMG_1887.jpg
IMG_1887.jpg (4.13 MiB) Viewed 641 times
Wetted and ready to be ironed in order to try and straighten out
IMG_8034.JPG
IMG_8034.JPG (3.38 MiB) Viewed 641 times
IMG_2303.JPG
IMG_2303.JPG (4.87 MiB) Viewed 641 times
Not looking too bad after ironing?
IMG_1345.JPG
IMG_1345.JPG (4.75 MiB) Viewed 641 times
IMG_5288.JPG
IMG_5288.JPG (4.23 MiB) Viewed 641 times
I then sanded all the loose paint on the inside to provide a good surface and key for the Fablon material.

It was apparent that sometime in the past they had been water damaged (no sign of any leaks inside the car so this must have happened ages ago). How to prevent any such issue in the future? My solution was to brush on a PVA solution of approx 60% PVA and 40% water both inside and out.
This had the effect of sealing and protecting the surface and, also to provide an extra "key" for the Fablon adhesive.
Changed in appearance somewhat...
IMG_8404.JPG
IMG_8404.JPG (3.84 MiB) Viewed 641 times
Now I don't have any photos of progress regarding the application of the Fablon.
But I think Mark was better at it than me as I used up most of the 3metre roll that I bought!
I didn't bother with templates, instead for the rear face I just placed a Glovebox on the Fablon (fluffy side up) and traced around the outside to get a rough shape. Trimmed this by about 3-4mm to account for the inside being smaller than the outside profile, and placed this inside the Glovebox.
It was slightly big, so I ran my finger nail around the inner profile and took it out and cut to the crease which worked very well.
For the sides, it was a bit of a challenge. I made sure I cut the Fablon with plenty of excess material and gradually manipulated and cut so that the bottom edge butted up to the inner back face of the Glovebox. This was achieved buy frequent use of a bag of clothes pegs and a lot of cutting and trying until it looked about right.
The fun really starts when you peel off the backing and try to work your way around the inner shape of the Glovebox (not forgetting to make sure the bottom edge fits snug against the back face).
Eventually I was happy and snipped off the excess material to tidy things up.

The finished result for just under £20, lots of tea and cursing!
IMG_8780.JPG
IMG_8780.JPG (4.42 MiB) Viewed 641 times
IMG_4211.JPG
IMG_4211.JPG (4.69 MiB) Viewed 641 times
Link to Fablon material
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stone-Self-Ad ... 2cb09a48fe

Special thanks again to Mark Wilson, without your post I would have probably spent circa £70 on new Glovebox Liners! :D
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Another Glovebox restoration

Post by Mark Wilson »

Doesn't look bad at all, well done! After all the advice and help I've had from the many talented people on here, it is nice to know that I've made a contribution - even one as small as this!