Spin on Oil Filter- no electrical connection?

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Alebulance Driver
MMOC Member: No

Spin on Oil Filter- no electrical connection?

Post by Alebulance Driver »

Hi- I'm a newbie with what I hope is a simple question. I'm switching over to a spin-on oil filter on my 1970 1098 van and the old filter housing has a lucar connection on it but I can't work out what for. The oil pressure warning switch is on the block, and when I disconnect this lead on the filter no lights illuminate. I'm guessing it may be a blockage warning light but as there is no connection on the new filter housing is it OK to just leave this lead off?
Photo shows old lead and new spin on housing with no connector
Photo shows old lead and new spin on housing with no connector
IMG_3126.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 771 times
Thanks for any advice.
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Spin on Oil Filter- no electrical connection?

Post by palacebear »

If I recall, the blocked filter warning light had been discontinued by 1970. The light in the Speedo was left in place, but with no connections and no bulb/holder.
1956 4-door called Max
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The lead in question is connected to a blocked filter indicator switch which is an integral part of the filter head.
The wire can be isolated with no ill effects - just make sure that the spade connector is well insulated and the wire is tied up out of the way with no chance of it rubbing against anything which may make a short circuit.

When fitting the spin on filter head make sure that there is absolutely no strain on the metal pipe from the block to the filter head as it can cause the filter head to fail with total loss of oil pressure.
To overcome any possible strain a flexible pipe can be fitted instead of the metal pipe.
http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... lassic/oil filter pipe.aspx|Back to search

Before starting the engine fill the spin on oil filter with engine oil and then fit the filter. It helps get the oil pressure up quicker.

Alebulance Driver
MMOC Member: No

Post by Alebulance Driver »

Wow that was quick and very helpful. Many thanks both of you. I'll take care!
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Make sure that you use a spanner to hold the fitting on the filter pipe and then another spanner to undo the pipe union, if you try to just undo the fitting, you will snap the pipe.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

To remove the oil pipe from block to filter head - slacken the banjo bolt that fits into the block (make sure that you retain the two copper washers) then hold the union that fits into the filter head stationary with the appropriate spanner and then undo the oil pipe conical nut and remove from the filter head union - remove the banjo bolt and place the oil pipe, banjo bolt and two copper washers to one side - then undo and remove the union in the filter head.

Phil