Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
POMMReg
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Red sumps on early 948cc's

Post by POMMReg »

Something to clear up before the ID booklet is ready....

Believe this ONĹY applies to the APJM engine - certainly the HC version - prior to mid '57(?). Could those of you with pre 8/57 Minor's (obviously with original engines), please check(?).

Other thing being CKD vehicles, whilst Oz & RSA models have HC engines, majority of NZ models have LC varient.

I know this kind of stuff is as appealing as munching on a soggy cream cracker, but it DOES need to be figured out, if only for the wheelbrace polishers!!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
jaekl
Minor Addict

Re: Red sumps on early 948cc's

Post by jaekl »

Chris, I've mention before that I had one with a red sump AND crankshaft pulley, but I didn't give you the car number, FBA 41482426. Most likely the original engine. I might be able to get the engine number if you need it. It also wasn't the typical shade of green.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Thanks Mr.J.

Engine probably APJM H, between 40000-50000?

HC's no help as 9MH quoted. never seen a 9M stamped 948 - 6 digit number - with a red sump, nor an APJM L on a commercial.

Rocker box a sort of blue/greeny grey colour, wonder whether there are any early Minor S111 "concours" cars with red sumps?

Almost as baffling as late '60s 1098cc's, it certainly ain't as simple as 10MA to 10V, if I hadn't collected all these numbers...would be in the doo-doo!!!
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

That sounds like the engine colour. It was the first engine I worked on. Did the 803 have the same colour with the red sump?

While we are talking engines, 67 was the last official year in the States. The engines were prefixed "10ME" and had the closed circuit breather. Did the home market get the same engine at this time? You only mention 10MA and 10V so it got me wondering.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

(sigh!)