Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Change of body type DVLA

Post by IaininTenbury »

Hi,
Anyone had a recent experience with dealing with the DVLA regarding convertible conversions? Done one or two in the past and the worst that could happen was a trip to the local DVLA office to have the chassis plate looked at. Bit wary now its a faceless bureaucracy and have heard one or two nasty stories....
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
ianmack
Minor Addict

Re: Change of body type DVLA

Post by ianmack »

No response after a day so I guess no-one has recent conversion experience. I haven’t converted a body myself but my experience of dvla over many years suggests the following;

The rules are changed regularly, usually without consultation or much in the way of publicity.

The new rules will be subject to interpretation by the staff involved and they may differ considerably.

There will always be a high level of incompetence. Documents will be lost, phone calls mishandled etc.

All letters will be blandly platitudinous and probably will not address the point you have raised. They will always conclude with threats of fines or vehicle clamping for non compliance.

Good luck with your convertible. If all else fails you can always export it to Mongolia, then re import it and start again.
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Re: Change of body type DVLA

Post by IaininTenbury »

Yes, thanks for that. Sounds about right on past experience... :)
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!