Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
benpratt
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Wiper motor

Post by benpratt »

Brand new wiper motor keeps slipping, cable as free as can be all cleaned and fresh grease. Gears are free and oiled, but the metal gear moves and then slips on the plastic gear!
Any ideas?!
Ian46
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Wiper motor

Post by Ian46 »

Without any details on age or past maintenance - In a wearing contest between metal and plastic materials, metal will always win.

Are the wiper arms stopping in the same position when testing?

I would clean the plastic gear very thoroughly and examine for any damaged or broken teeth. If found replace plastic gear with new one.
Busy collecting parts for my '52 MM Convertible and 1949 Saloon restorations. :o
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

If it's " brand new " then the obvious answer is to return it , rather than muck about with it and possibly invalid any claim you have against the seller. Not fit for purpose.
Is it new or reconditioned ? Could be that the re-conditioner has not set up the end float on the shaft correctly ? A mis matched / incorrect gear wheel ? What size is marked on the gear wheel ?
Bob
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I very much doubt it is "brand new". Who is making a brand new wiper motor? More likely rebuilt from old parts and has a fault?
As already suggested, I would send it back. They are generally a reliable part if the rack is working freely.
It IS the correct one for your car is it? New wiper motors always used to come without the gears in them as I recall?
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Blaketon »

I keep an index and scanned copies of the tech items in Minor Matters. Does this help?
Attachments
Minor Matters Tech 2 Cropped Sept Oct 2017.jpg
Minor Matters Tech 2 Cropped Sept Oct 2017.jpg (204.76 KiB) Viewed 948 times