Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Mot exclusion

Post by les »

I'm reading all sorts of things regarding this mot exclusion, my pickup is on sorn. If I take it off sorn at the end of May and want to tax it from April, do I have to get one more mot before taxing or not?

palacebear
Minor Legend

Re: Mot exclusion

Post by palacebear »

My understanding is that if you take it off SORN after May 18th and tax it (tax dated to start May 1st), all you need to do is tick a box declaring that your pickup conforms to MOT exemption requirements, and you'll be set for the next year. The box-ticking has to be done every time you apply for tax.
1956 4-door called Max
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks, I presume then, that after a vehicle comes off sorn it needs to be taxed by completing a Tax application form, that will have this tick box?

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Looks like that's a 'Yes'. The article in the new issue of Minor Matters seems to cover it fairly simply in the paragraph entitled 'Self Declaration procedure'.
1956 4-door called Max
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks I'll check the magazine article out further. I expect this tick box will be eventual be incorporated in the V11 reminder to tax vehicle form that is sent each year, However for initial taxing after sorn, I imagine a certain form from the post office is required.

Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

Give credit where due, the item in Minor Matters is the clearest I've seen!!
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Agreed. First one I've seen that sets it out in easy terminology. Can we get publishing rights for it.... 'MOT Exemption for Dummies' perhaps?? :lol:
1956 4-door called Max
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

True it's quite clear on vehicles that are up and running, as the tax reminder will provide the means to declare but if the vehicle comes out of sorn then presumably no tax reminder is forthcoming, so another means of declaring is required. As mentioned earlier probably some other form is needed. In that respect the article is not so clear.

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

I've never had a SORN. Assumed it had to be done annually and that a tax/SORN reminder was issued annually...?
1956 4-door called Max
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

They used to send annual sorn reminders but changed that to a system where the sorn lasts until a subsequent transaction such as licensing, sale, scrapping or export.

If I want to licence a sorn vehicle I insure it then take the document file to the post office so I can show documents or they can provide forms, as necessary.
surfergirl
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by surfergirl »

This is all a pain for me...my new project will be ready by the end of this month...looks like i will have to MOT it before I can unSORN him....darn it...or do i risk it...hmmmmm

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I don't see the problem of getting an MOT. They will still be available on a voluntary basis. Most people won't have four post lifts and brake testers; so if your car is used regularly or you have just finished a restoration, then why not get your local classic friendly garage to give the car the once over? Things do wear out, and even the most experienced person can make a mistake, so for less than £50 you can get a second opinion and a really good look underneath. I'm not going to open the whole can of worms about should we or shouldn't we have compulsory MOTs, I just think that getting one should not be a problem - if the car is in good condition then it will pass, if it fails then you need to fix it anyway; and it's better that you know about the problem than live in ignorance.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Well said. I quite agree.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Me too!
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Mine passed today, at least I know that its road worthy. :D
TFM150K
Minor Fan

Post by TFM150K »

surfergirl wrote:This is all a pain for me...my new project will be ready by the end of this month...looks like i will have to MOT it before I can unSORN him....darn it...or do i risk it...hmmmmm
PLEASE don't risk it - don't forget that most of Mr Plod's cars have number plate recognition these days and if they just happen to be following you and the machine bleeps you have got some explaining to do............... :-?