Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
panky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Mot

Post by panky »

A chap on the Mini Forum has just declared VHI this morning on his Mini pick up. The car has just undergone a full resto and has been SORN'd for years, he simply insured the car, went on line to declare VHI then taxed it, Very straight forward.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

I'll see if I can find the site, and try the online method.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Have you got a link to the correct site this chap visited to tax his recently sorn removed vehicle. I'm not finding it very straight forward!

panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

That was the one I tried to used, however, I've since realised that the 11 digit number it asks to be entered into a box, is not valid if the vehicle has not been taxed for some time. In which case the number on the V5 must be used. Having read things properly :roll: I have now taxed the vehicle. Saves a trip to the PO !
Thanks for the tip and link panky

panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Cool, glad it worked
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

PS:------also thanks to jollysmart for initiating the online option.

panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Thought I'd post this here too.
A guy on the Mini Forum rang the DVLA this morning and this is the information he received:-

'Spoke to the DVLA this morning. Its a lot simpler than we think. From today 40 year old cars are mot exempt. So for example if you have tax till next May and a Mot only till this July (like me), you are MOT exempt and can continue to use car after MOT expiry. The check box on the website when taxing is simply so that when taxing the system will let you proceed to tax the car without a current MOT.

Likewise when at post office the V112 is just so staff at post office can process your tax application without a valid mot. The post office do not need to send this document off etc.

The police systems have been updated so that 40 year plus cars do not show as requiring an MOT/ expired.

Essentially if your car has Tax but a short MOT, no need to re MOT this year simply at re taxing next year tick the box and re tax.

Hope that's cleared things up, its taken a while to get to the answer'

You don't need to visit the post office, it can all be done on line, but the option is there if you prefer it.
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Great info. and thanks . I spent nearly two months trying to obtain clarification with no luck ! Well done !
JenniferT

Post by JenniferT »

Great info. and thanks .