Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
acmsb
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Removing seat belts attachment

Post by acmsb »

Hi all

I have a Morris Traveller (1969). I need a bit of advice on removing the seatbelts.

I want to fit a new carpet. This involves removing the seatbelt roller attachment at the bottom of each bulkhead behind the door - this will allow me to remove the old carpet and then replace it with the new one, then belt the attachment back on.

The problem is that the bolt attaching the roller mechanism is directly underneath the roller itself. This means it's in the gap between the roller and the floor. There doesn't seem to be enough space to get a socket into the gap and over the bolt.

Has anyone else had this problem or I am being really dumb?

All advice gratefully received!
taupe
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Removing seat belts attachment

Post by taupe »

Normally its just bolted on with a welded nut within the chassis rail, so if a socket wont fit from the front, use a ring spanner from the side?

With some reels the top plastic cover can be removed first which then gives better access to the bolt.

Taupe
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by mogbob »

You will definitely struggle if you are not using an extension bar in conjunction with your socket set. The extension bar,3/8" or 1/2" drive depending on the set you have , will allow you to inset the socket underneath the seat belt roller mechanism. Your ratchet is then free to
operate a little distance away , so you don't skin your knuckles in the process.
Not got one in your set ?
You can buy extension bars either individually or in a set of different lengths from Internet sellers , autoparts , car spares , tool places for
not a great deal of money. Quality tools made by household names will be a little more expensive of course.
There are also "wobble " extension bars and universal joints which would allow you to introduce " distance" between the socket and the Ratchet.
Cut out a star shape in the new carpet , in the right place of course and take out a plug of actual carpet. That way the bolt will go back in
easier. Lay the carpet in situ and "feel for " the right position with a large needle / meat skewer , aiming for the centre of the bolt hole. Leave
needle in , turn over the carpet and mark the back with a marker. X marks the spot.
Good luck with it.
Bob
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Be careful when undoing the bolt into the captive nut which is incorporated into the body panel.
If the bolt is tight or seized and you put too much pressure on the socket or spanner there is the possibility that the nut will twist off the body panel and then you will have more problems.
Soak the bolt well in penetrating oil before attempting to undo.
The head of the bolt is usually quite thin so not much to grab hold of either.

acmsb
Minor Friendly

Post by acmsb »

Hi guys

Thanks for your help- I finally managed it! I went away and thought about it (whilst lying on the sofa!)

I pulled out all the seatbelt from the roller, which gave me enough space between the case and the roller to slip a spanner through it and down around the bolt. I then just turned it (a quarter at a time as that's all the space I had before the spanner hit the case on the other side!) It took an hour as I had to take off put the spanner after every turn and then put it back on - I've now ordered some ratchet spanners on ebay to make it easier when I put them back!

Thanks again for your help!

Alex