stat cover.jpg
stat cover.jpg (218.61 KiB) Viewed 975 times
Where angels fear to tread
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: the leak

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

I expect you already know this but for coolant use 50/50 Antifreeze water mix for corrosion protection. I like to use the water from my dehumidifier. Premixed antifreeze is also available.
Regards John
jaekl
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by jaekl »

The rust stain is from the block, etc, not this cover. The corrosion of the cover is from the anti-freeze itself. It must have been in there a while. It turns acidic and will corrode these light alloys.
moggiethouable
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by moggiethouable »

Well yes and no, I use antifreeze but not in any measured way, remiss I know.
It does always have antifreeze but I think its the original stat cap from 1965, I had to replace the water pump when I first got the car so for similar reasons should expect this.
Anyway it was easy enough to replace with an ex stock item from Tom Roy, and of course a fresh bottle of antifreeze.
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Had exactly the same problem with both thermostat cover and water pump , both basically rotten ! The fun part was removing the thermostat cover with loads of penetrating oil , gentle persuasion and patience over a two day period . Loads of posts on this forum about similar issues with thermostat housings . Interestingly what condition was your thermostat in , mine was covered in crud showing a lack of attention on my part .
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

Ah, I replaced the stat when I bought the car 7 years ago, it didnt occur to me that I should replace the housing at the same time, even though as a matter of course I replaced the water pump too as it and the radiator were old and very much tired out.
Getting the stat cover free then was quite easy as when I put the new stat in the studs got a liberal coating of grease.