Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
acmsb
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Front brakes and hoses

Post by acmsb »

Hi everyone

I have a 1969 Morris Traveller (1098cc) and have been attempting to change the front brake cylinders (as two of the cylinders, one on each side, are seized solid).

Not surprisingly all of the cylinder mounting bolts, flexi hose etc, are seized solid (despite soaking in release oil, wire brushing and later heat). So we decided to remove the entire backplate and work on it in a friends workshop.

All went well on the driver’s side, disconnected flexi from solid line, hub carrier etc removed, backplate off.

Not the same could be said for the passenger side…..

The flexi hose undid (to a point) then seized and the hex nut on the flexi is now rounded off (see first photo attached) (the second photograph shows the part circled in red in the parts catalogue. In addition, the bearing retaining nut initially undid without issue, but towards the end of the thread (2 threads showing at the end) it just span freely and now will not thread on or off.

So two questions…

Does the flexi hose just screw into the solid line, or is it via an interface of some sorts? It appears that way and that no special interface is listed in the parts catalogue. The only one I could find is in the parts catalogue (third photo attached), but that seems to be from the rear. If there no part, I was going to undo the solid line from the join (small nut) cut off the flexi hose (close to the bracket) drop it though, work on getting the large nut off (the one with the anti slip washer under it) in the workshop and the replace the flexi line (already purchased).

Re the bearing nut, I was planning to drill or split the nut, check threads etc and hope that they are not damaged and hopefully replace the castellated nut. Any thoughts on how to do this would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Attachments
m3.png
m3.png (25.6 KiB) Viewed 915 times
m1.png
m1.png (14.71 KiB) Viewed 915 times
20180506_181913.jpg
20180506_181913.jpg (3.23 MiB) Viewed 910 times
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Front brakes and hoses

Post by mogbob »

Morning ,
The flexi hose , item 85 first picture , ( New one should come with a nut item 86 when supplied. Try and keep the washer item 87 , or replace if necessary. ).
From the picture No 1 you will see that "back nut " item is firmly / permanently attached to the flexi hose. That nut , when turned ,
the flexi hose has no other choice than to twist.
Once through the bracket , the flexi hose is held in place by the washer / nut set up items 86 & 87.
The protrusion of the flexi through the bracket / washer /nut leaves a short length of " thread " exposed.
The brake line fitting goes into the exposed threaded end of the flexi hose and gets tightened up.
As you have acknowledged the flexi you have is toast.
Don't damage the bracket. Try pouring boiling water over the nut item 86 ( maybe several times ) and with 2 ( two spanners ) try alternately
tightening and then loosening a small fraction at a time. Repeat / douce with releasing fluid , etc.
If all else fails get out the nut splitter / hacksaw / drill and get the nut off. Save the bracket , do not put undue force on it. Hence two spanners being used.
Good luck with it.
Bob
acmsb
Minor Friendly

Post by acmsb »

Hi Bob, thanks for the reply. When we took the flexi off, we did use opposing spanner method, not forcing against the bracket, which is a bit feeble. On the drivers side this worked just fine.
The old flexi is proper toast now and not able to put a spanner on anymore, so i think the only recorse is to as you say split the nut, replace, like you say sparing the bracket.
The new flexi hoses didn't some wth a new nut, i may just buy one anyway, as i can't beleive they are mega bucks.

Thanks again
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by mogbob »

Don't be afraid to clamp onto the moulding / nut portion of the flexi hose. A decent Mole wrench or pair of Stillsons would grip sufficiently.

New bits .... suppliers various
e.g Moss Brake Hose Nut 2K886 £1.20
Shakeproof washer WE600101 42p
Charles Ware Lock nut for Flexible Hose CBS 125 72p
Shakeproof Washer CBS 123 34p
Plus postage of course. Check the others out
Bob
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The bracket holding the brake pipe appears to have already been damaged as its top face is not parallel to the bottom of the inner wing panel as it should be.

Re the hub nut:-
Put a tyre lever between hub and back plate, apply pressure to the lever whilst undoing the hub nut.

The hub nut on the passenger side (N/S) has a left hand thread so to undo the nut it should be turned clockwise.