Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
owenmorris
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Petrol Cap

Post by owenmorris »

Hi, as my MM1000 lives under a carport on my drive I fitted a lockable petrol cap for security, but now I have a problem with the tank pressurising, could somebody tell me how to fix this problem.
Thanks, Bernard.
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Petrol Cap

Post by palacebear »

You need ideally a locking cap with a breather to allow air into the tank as it empties. Not all readily available caps have them. The breather is often a VERY small hole drilled through the top surface of the cap, close to the outer edge.
1956 4-door called Max
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If the tank is pressurising i.e. the air not being able to get out conversely the air that needs to get in to replace the volume of petrol pumped to the engine cannot get in which will make your petrol pump struggle.
If there is no vent the expansion of petrol in the tank will pressurise the tank.
Dependent upon the type and make of lockable cap fitted a hole drilled in the underside of the cap would alleviate the problem of tank pressurising.

GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

Not all vented caps have an obvious hole - I have a lockable vented cap which has a "labyrinth " cast into the underside which provides the ventilation, so it's worth looking at a cap closely before assuming it isn't vented.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

If the lockable petrol tank cap was vented there would not be a problem with petrol tank pressurisation.

Check that any vent hole (if there is one) in the cap is not blocked.

alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alanworland »

I've heard of petrol tanks being crushed from atmospheric pressure due to the vacuum caused by the pumping out of its contents!

Alan
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

That is one of the few thing I remember from by BL / Unipart product training back in 1979 :)
1956 4-door called Max