Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
wurlitzer
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Vehicle of historic interest mot

Post by wurlitzer »

Declared my 1966 vow beetle a vehicle of historic interest at the post office this morning when renewing my car tax for June,couldn’t have been easier,I filled out form V112 writing on it vehicle of historic interest as it’s not listed on the back and presented it with my reminder,no problem and no more mots.I will have a full service every 2 years as I do little mileage and get it checked over by my mechanic and yes I do have a 1959 Morris convertible too.I can’t declare my 67 beetle until December as it can only be done when renewing car tax
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Vehicle of historic interest mot

Post by les »

The post offices open early down your way!

panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

A guy on the Mini Forum rang the DVLA this morning and this is the information he received:-

'Spoke to the DVLA this morning. Its a lot simpler than we think. From today 40 year old cars are mot exempt. So for example if you have tax till next May and a Mot only till this July (like me), you are MOT exempt and can continue to use car after MOT expiry. The check box on the website when taxing is simply so that when taxing the system will let you proceed to tax the car without a current MOT.

Likewise when at post office the V112 is just so staff at post office can process your tax application without a valid mot. The post office do not need to send this document off etc.

The police systems have been updated so that 40 year plus cars do not show as requiring an MOT/ expired.

Essentially if your car has Tax but a short MOT, no need to re MOT this year simply at re taxing next year tick the box and re tax.

Hope that's cleared things up, its taken a while to get to the answer'

You don't need to visit the post office, it can all be done on line, but the option is there if you prefer it.
wurlitzer
Minor Friendly

Post by wurlitzer »

Our post office opened at 8am ,the time on the iPad is an hour slow.I didn’t think you could do it online until you had declared it at a post office the first year
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I think we're getting the hang of things now! :D Mine came straight from being on sorn to being taxed, on line, done yesterday so presumably must have been permissible at that date. It was already classed as historic on the V5.

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

I've been waiting nearly a month for the DVLA to issue a new V5C after informing them of change of colour and engine. Academic for a couple of weeks, but getting perilously close to returning it to use - it will be annoying if the bureaucracy beats me after seven years!

Mark
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Any documents I need to send to dvla, or anyone else for that matter, I make sure I have copies, hope you've done the same Mark.

Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Of course! :D
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

What remains to be seen is whether insurance companies will quote different rates for cars that do not have a "voluntary" mot. I haven't seen anything mentioned, so perhaps no cause for alarm.

It's probably true if they refuse to pay a claim on the grounds that a car was not roadworthy, having an mot would be the easiest way to refute that.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I suppose those that have been running old cars that require no test could tell us if insurance is loaded. I doubt they've been penalised for no MOT over the years.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

At the risk of labouring the point------
http://www.classicandsportscar.com/news ... d-classics

BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Post by BrianHawley »

les wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 2:59 pm I suppose those that have been running old cars that require no test could tell us if insurance is loaded. I doubt they've been penalised for no MOT over the years.
True.

Hadn’t thought of that.
Brian

liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

BrianHawley wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 2:50 pm What remains to be seen is whether insurance companies will quote different rates for cars that do not have a "voluntary" mot. I haven't seen anything mentioned, so perhaps no cause for alarm.

It's probably true if they refuse to pay a claim on the grounds that a car was not roadworthy, having an mot would be the easiest way to refute that.
It's worth remembering that, even if a car has a current MoT, it doesn't mean it's roadworthy, so if going down that route, it would be worth re-MoTing any car involved in an accident, regardless of whether it had a current Mot, surely? The MoT demonstrates that a car was up to the given standard when it was tested, but doesn't guarantee it is for the 12 months thereafter.

For anyone who's interested, there has been no mention of what happens to vehicles that are currently 'taxed', but have run out of MoT. My Citroen DS is in this category - the MoT expired a couple of months ago, but it has 9 months' tax remaining. I checked its status today online, as I was concerned that if not retaxing it, I wouldn't be able to state that it is MoT exempt - I can confirm that its status has been automatically updated. I read that in such cases, the separate declaration isn't required (I think Panky mentioned this earlier. In the case of my Wolseley Six, which was out of tax and MoT, I retaxed it online, and was prompted to declare it MoT 'exempt' at that point.

I stress that this is for those who are interested - I'm not interested about receiving a lecture on whether or not I should get my cars tested! I plan to get them checked over, but am not in the habit of driving ill-maintained cars :D
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Informative post — but my Moggie has just become MOT exempt and is currently taxed . No update on that status appearing on the Gov. site . Still states MOT expired and £1000 fine for usage . I assume I will have to fill in the relevant forms to ensure it is updated .
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Brian, how's this for timing. My insurance renewal landed on the doormat today, and apart from the usual increase of a few quid, no mention of any additional cost for mot exemption. :D

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

My A30 has been mot exempt for years ( although I have it done anyway). My insurers have never asked whether its mot'd or not.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Shropshiremoggie wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 6:36 pm Informative post — but my Moggie has just become MOT exempt and is currently taxed . No update on that status appearing on the Gov. site . Still states MOT expired and £1000 fine for usage . I assume I will have to fill in the relevant forms to ensure it is updated .
That’s interesting- seems that the website isn’t consistent then (surprise surprise) as the Citroen ‘amended’ itself, going from stating ‘MoT expired’ to stating ‘no information’ or something similar, with the box the text is in changing from red to green... I’d check again today perhaps?
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Good idea , I’ll check later and report back !!!
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Site states MOT expired ( fine possible ) and if exempt form V112 must be presented when next being taxed .
Certainly not automatically updated for exemption in my case but no problem , I will take the relevant docs. when tax is due . Saw on another post that police ANPR systems had been updated for vehicles now exempt . Difficult to believe but hopefully true .
BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Post by BrianHawley »

les wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:12 pm Brian, how's this for timing. My insurance renewal landed on the doormat today, and apart from the usual increase of a few quid, no mention of any additional cost for mot exemption. :D
Let’s hope that’s the way it stays.
Brian