Declaration of exemption from MOT. Form V112.

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
steve.ellis
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Declaration of exemption from MOT. Form V112.

Post by steve.ellis »

The V5C for my 1969 Traveller shows the taxation class as Historic Vehicle. It was ‘Taxed’ until 30 June 2018. It’s MOT expires on 25 May 2018.
To take advantage of the new MOT exemption coming into force from 20 May 2018 I submitted an online SORN on 22 May 2018 with the intention of re taxing it the next day at the post office and handing over a completed form V112 (Declaration of exemption from MOT that I had downloaded from the internet).
The trouble is my local post office has not heard of form V112 and refused to take it from me. Instead they merely re-taxed the vehicle and told me to contact DVLA.
A nice lady on the phone at DVLA said it was not their form despite it bearing their name and Logo! She said it was the responsibility of the DVSA (Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency) and gave me their phone number.
Another nice lady at the DVSA said it was not their form either! She added that they had received lots of calls about this and said it was the fault of the Post Office for failing to train staff. She told me to take it up with the Post Office.
Back to the Post Office again but remember they have not heard of form V112 so they cannot help!
So now I am back home with my completed form V112 that no one wants to see or record.
Has anyone been successful in sorting out exemption from MOT under the new regs? Please tell me where I am going wrong.
Thanks.

greendefender123
Minor Addict

Re: Declaration of exemption from MOT. Form V112.

Post by greendefender123 »

People have been doing it online when they tax it. Another box is popping up that you tick. Sorry i haven't done it myself as iv just had an mot last week. It seems simple.
morris van
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by morris van »

I've been into the Post Office in a main town twice and the staff have not got a clue about it. My vans tax runs out at the end of January and the MOT on the 29th January and my MG MOT runs out 2nd December and the tax at the end of December so I hope they get it sorted out before then.

jollysmart
Minor Friendly

Post by jollysmart »

steve.ellis wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 7:45 pm The V5C for my 1969 Traveller shows the taxation class as Historic Vehicle. It was ‘Taxed’ until 30 June 2018. It’s MOT expires on 25 May 2018.
To take advantage of the new MOT exemption coming into force from 20 May 2018 I submitted an online SORN on 22 May 2018 with the intention of re taxing it the next day at the post office and handing over a completed form V112 (Declaration of exemption from MOT that I had downloaded from the internet).
The trouble is my local post office has not heard of form V112 and refused to take it from me. Instead they merely re-taxed the vehicle and told me to contact DVLA.
A nice lady on the phone at DVLA said it was not their form despite it bearing their name and Logo! She said it was the responsibility of the DVSA (Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency) and gave me their phone number.
Another nice lady at the DVSA said it was not their form either! She added that they had received lots of calls about this and said it was the fault of the Post Office for failing to train staff. She told me to take it up with the Post Office.
Back to the Post Office again but remember they have not heard of form V112 so they cannot help!
So now I am back home with my completed form V112 that no one wants to see or record.
Has anyone been successful in sorting out exemption from MOT under the new regs? Please tell me where I am going wrong.
Thanks.
The V112 is used by the Post Office staff to allow the issue of road tax without a valid MOT, they do not send it off to the DVLA and I assume that they use it to tick the MOT exempt box on their computer terminal just as you would online if you taxed your vehicle that way.

The best advice is to do it online as all reports say that the system works and is straightforward to use.