Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
James k
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Replacing Traveller Post

Post by James k »

Hi,
I'm attempting to replace the front post and the foot rail on my Traveller. I originally only intended to do the post but discovered that the foot rail is too rotten. I removed the post easily as it was rotten but I can't work out how to replace it. The problem is that the top piece is too deep to fit in, I can't see any way to manoeuvre it into the slot. Has anyone tried this and been successful? I really really don't want to remove the whole side.

Thanks,
James
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Replacing Traveller Post

Post by simmitc »

To attach the bottom rail to the front post, three screws are driven in from the front edge of the front post, through the front post, and into the foot rail. It may occur to you that there's the metal B-post right in front of the wooden post and so you won't get those screws in without removing the side. There are also screws in the middle and at the top. The rear of the foot rail attaches to the arch in a way similar to the front attachment to the B-post but is simpler to get to once the wing is removed.
Attachments
Top.jpg
Top.jpg (357.7 KiB) Viewed 689 times
Middle.jpg
Middle.jpg (329.4 KiB) Viewed 689 times
Bottom.jpg
Bottom.jpg (415.36 KiB) Viewed 689 times
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

Thanks for the reply and the pictures. Is it impossible to get the post in without removing the side then? I got the impression from talking to woodies that it was possible but tricky but I can't see a way of doing it. He gave me instructions in an email to remove the post in-situ and said that replacing it should be straightforward but I can't see a way of getting it in :-?
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Hello was wondering how you got on with replacing the post in the end? Not alot of information out there advising without replacing the whole side. Iv already replaced my wood during a restoration in 2015.

Unfortunately I need to do the same myself as bottom of my post has rotted along with the foot rail. Moisture got trapped between the b pillar and post.

Thank you

Steve