Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
James k
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

New tyres and steering rack oil

Post by James k »

Hi,
I fitted a new O/S steering rack gaiter to my Traveller last week and filled the rack with EP90. I'd previously been putting grease in the rack, as recommend by some. I saw when I took the gaiter off that there was no trace of grease at that end of the rack, meaning it had been running completely dry. I'd done my best when greasing it to put in grease at full lock in both directions to try and maximise the coverage but there was none at all. I got the oil in by filling a normal oil can and slipping the spout under the end of the new gaiter before tightening it up. I then pumped in about a pint of EP90 and fixed the end of the gaiter. The difference was amazing! The rack stopped rattling and the steering was loads lighter and smoother. I can't believe I'd been putting grease in before!

An even bigger difference came yesterday when I had four new tyres fitted, Bridgestone 145s. I couldn't believe the difference when I picked it up, it was like they'd fitted power steering to the car! The old tyres were perishing, had cracked side walls and a couple had tubes in them.

Together, the oil in the rack and the new tyres have transformed the car. It's so much nicer to drive now! The steering is extremely light, accurate and smooth, the road noise is reduced and the car just feels a lot more solid on the road.

I was so impressed I just thought I'd share my experience in case anyone is in a similar position, choosing new tyres or deciding on oil vs grease :D

James
viewsonic1
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: New tyres and steering rack oil

Post by viewsonic1 »

I had these tyres fitted all round last year and like you, I couldn't believe the difference they made. I had 155s previously so not only is the ride better, the car looks better too!
BaldyTone
Minor Friendly

Post by BaldyTone »

Thanks for posting that James, I’m nearly ready for new tyres. Just checking the size, 145 80 14?
Cheers
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

Hi,
Yes, the size is 145 80 14. The tyres are Bridgestone B381 and were £68.95 each from blackcircles.com (fitted).
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by myoldjalopy »

One strike against grease in the steering rack then.......I have to say I have always used Hypoid EP90 in the rack with no issues........as per the manual.....
Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

The Problem Comes with new steering racks. ( labelled Made in Argentina) They are supposedly maintenance free and, I assume, already greased up. I know that they are not filled with EP90 because one of the gaitors split during the tracking Setting and nothing poured out. Did not see much grease either, so I smeared LM on it and it took a few trips before everything freed up.

Ok now though.
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]