Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Johnny
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

General public

Post by Johnny »

It's always nice to get comments about the car when you're out and about but does anyone ever find this overbearing?

Don't get me wrong, it is really nice to have interest shown in the car and the occasional chat is great however I was collared 4 times the other weekend in the space of about 2 hours. I had a load of stuff to do and was really busy and in a bad mood, happens to us all doesn't it?

I'm always polite ad accomodating but I don't understand why people think they can come and lean on the driver's door and stick their head in through the window and have a chat with you, it's quite invasive, or they'll come up and start touching bits and pieces, usually just after I've polished it up.

One kid just jumped in the driver's seat!

I guess it's an 'occupational hazzard'.

And if I hear the phrase 'I'll give you a fiver for it' one more time....

Anyone else had amusing/annoying incidents?
pgp001
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: General public

Post by pgp001 »

If you were just going about your daily business, then yes I see your point.
But if this is happening at car shows where you are displaying, then can I suggest you give up going to car shows.

I thought generating public interest was the whole point of doing it, but if you find it irritating it's not the general public's fault, that is why they are there.

Just my 2p worth.
Phil
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Happens to me all the time —- and ( to me ) its part of the fun owning a Moggie ! Most people want to chat because they either had one , somebody in the family had one or they knew someone who had one ! A lady saw me in mine a few days ago , knew where I lived, and asked if she could come and sit in it . She had one as a first car thirty years ago and it brought back happy memories .
Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

Don't know if this is to near the knuckle but bringing back those happy memories was she sitting in the front or back seat
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Front seat but a good observation . She is now quite a large lady and as my Moggie is a two door might struggle to get in the back :D
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

'I was collared 4 times the other weekend in the space of about 2 hours. I had a load of stuff to do and was really busy and in a bad mood...'

An insight into the world of celebrity? All these young kids who say 'I want to be famous' really have no idea of what they're wishing on themselves.
Johnny
Minor Friendly

Post by Johnny »

At a show, I would expect it as it is part of it, but I was just going about the daily business. I.e trip to the dump, and a rather annoying 50 mile round trip to get my work bag back as the removal men had packed it on the lorry without me noticing!

Haven't actually done any shows yet, really should after owning a Morris for over 12 years!
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Last year someone stuck his head through the window and said "I used to have one of those". we had a chat and he said "I've got tons of sppares in the garage you can have for free" so it was well worth the time. Brand new factory rear wings, anybody??? :D

Last week I was asked if I would bring along the Lowlight as window dressing for a 617 Squadron event. Parked next to a Tiger Moth. I got to meet the last surviving Dam Buster and am down on the list for a Tiger flight. well worth it.

A few years ago I got the head through the window from an elderly chap. "I lost my virginity in the back of one of these". Maybe not so good. :o
Cardiff, UK
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

I don't mind being accosted by random strangers even though the conversation seldom varies that much... 'I had one of those' 'How old is it?' and 'I thought all split-screens were side-valve' being the most common FAQs. I can usually spot the complete idiots and be brief with them :lol:

Recently a lady cyclist, not in the first flush of youth, gave me a double 'thumbs-up' as I approached her. Her hands-free antics caused some serious wobble issues, and I was preparing to stop and help her back onto her wheels... but no harm done as it turned out :)

Found a little kid at a show trying to lift a trafficator arm out of it's slot. His dad gave him a serious talking-to so I showed them how it works and recalled that as a kid myself I would frequently do the exact same thing to my mate's grandad's Austin A30
1956 4-door called Max
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

RobThomas wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:34 am Last year someone stuck his head through the window and said "I used to have one of those". we had a chat and he said "I've got tons of sppares in the garage you can have for free" so it was well worth the time. Brand new factory rear wings, anybody??? :D

Last week I was asked if I would bring along the Lowlight as window dressing for a 617 Squadron event. Parked next to a Tiger Moth. I got to meet the last surviving Dam Buster and am down on the list for a Tiger flight. well worth it.

A few years ago I got the head through the window from an elderly chap. "I lost my virginity in the back of one of these". Maybe not so good. :o
The yugh factor depends on how recently he lost it I suppose.:)
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

I'm always having people wanting to have a look at my van because I use it for work. I don't mind. Its usually the 60+ age group as they used drive them when they were still in production, when I was out in my MG a couple of weeks ago I two different people come to have a look at it when I was at a petrol station. Its always being social with people as one person I was talking to was clearing out his garage and gave me all his tools as he did not need them as he had given up driving.

Nickol
Minor Addict

Post by Nickol »

My Traveller is of course quite rare over here and especially so now that the steering wheel is on the left. We usually get a wave from passers by and a chat is often on the cards when parked in the town. I parked it in the underground car park in Frankfurt recently and it was clear that in the 3 hours I was away many fingers had examined it. When i got home I saw that one of the headlight surrounds had been hooked over the bumper upright. Obviously it had come off during an "inspection" and was placed so that it would not get lost. The fixing screw had come off it seems.

Old car jokes?

Someone drives his Trabant to the garage and asks the attendant
"Have you got a wing mirror for a Trabbi?"
The attendant looks at the car and replies
"Yes, I think that is a fair exchange!".
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]