Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
flod
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Garage South - Staff Midlands

Post by flod »

Hi I have been suffering with judder from the gear box in first and reverse for the last 12 months and finally feel the need to get it sorted as it is a bit embarrassing crossing a show ground at 5 mph while the car is juddering.
Unfortunately I am not in a position to sort this myself as I believe it is a problem with the flywheel getting too smooth.
Can anyone recommend a garage or know a mechanic who can carry out.
I am just outside Lichfield Staffs, but don't mind travelling as long as it can be done in a day, or will pay someone to carry work out at mine.

Thanks Flod
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Garage South - Staff Midlands

Post by philthehill »

Before you whip out the gearbox check the engine steady rod and rubbers and where the engine steady rod is mounted to the body under the battery tray.
If not too worried about originality the Grumpy's engine steady kit is a good purchase.

http://www.morrisminorspares.com/engine ... it-p830094

I fitted one of the kits to my Ser 2 and it stopped any juddering.

As regards a "too smooth a flywheel" - it should be smooth otherwise any roughness would eat away the centre plate in no time.

Check also the gearbox steady wire between gearbox and gearbox cross member.

Also check the engine mounting rubbers for serviceability.

If all the above is satisfactory the problem could lie with either the ignition or carb settings.

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I wouldn't have thought a 'smooth' flywheel is the problem, if you're referring to the surface where the clutch operates, this should be smooth and flat.
Edit: apologies just realised Phil has mentioned this!
Last edited by les on Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

philthehill wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:05 am If all the above is satisfactory the problem could lie with either the ignition or carb settings.
Good advice as always from Phil. I would concur regarding carb settings. My car suffered very bad judder in 1st and reverse. Other unrelated problems led me to making some carb adjustments (leaning off the mixture) and the judder pretty much disappeared. I've noticed lately it's running a bit rich again, and the judder is coming back as well.
1956 4-door called Max
StillGotMy1stCar
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by StillGotMy1stCar »

Phil’s advice is always the best and I am happy to be corrected if I am wrong:-
Oil contamination on the clutch plate can also cause clutch judder.
May be worth checking the jiggle pin in bellhousing isn’t blocked.
If the plate is contaminated it is best to replace it, mothers Marina used to suffer from this and my dad would burn it off with a bit of clutch slipping but it would soon start juddering again. I wouldn't recommend the clutch slipping though :-?
Regards John
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

"Oil contamination on the clutch can also cause clutch judder"

Absolutely correct and yes check that the jiggle pin hole is clear.
Engine/gearbox oil and clutch dust around the clutch driven plate/pressure plate is not compatible with a smooth clutch operation
Has there been any sign of oil leakage from the bell housing or increase in oil consumption...?