Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
James k
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Disklok users - any tips?

Post by James k »

Hi,
I've just purchased a disklok for my Traveller. As you know, it's very large and cumbersome. I can just about get it on and off without hitting the windscreen but it's very difficult. The screen and the wheel are very close on the minor so I feel like I'm bound to damage it at some point. I'm also slightly concerned about the metal damaging the steering wheel.

Basically, has anyone got any good tips for easily getting it on and off? Is there an optimum angle for putting it on or some good method of getting it on that I haven't thought of? At the moment I have to open the driver's door to get it on.

Thanks,
James
panky
Minor Legend

Re: Disklok users - any tips?

Post by panky »

I have the same problem. It's such a big heavy lump of a thing it's difficult to get it on with the door shut as you've found out - I've managed to chip the paint on the door a few times :-?
I have an earlier banjo steering wheel and because of the dish I find it slightly easier to fit the Disclok but you still have to be careful. Sorry I can't be of any more help but you are not alone and the upshot is they are a great deterrent
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

If it is too close to the windscreen lower the steering column.

VOP680

Post by VOP680 »

You can buy a cover to protect the steering wheel which I use.

http://www.disklokuk.co.uk/shop/steerin ... r-disklok/

Other than that the only advice is not to rush fitting it, I always have the driver's door open when fitting or removing my Disklok.
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

Thanks for the replies! It looks like I'm not alone in the door open technique, good to know I wasn't missing anything obvious! I don't really want to lower the steering column as I'm happy with its height in general. I'll just have to be careful I suppose! And look into getting one of those covers.

Thanks,
James
Andy W
Minor Fan

Post by Andy W »

Well I've never needed to have the door open...so there! :D

Spin the Disklok so that the lever handle is at the left side & vertical, carefully open up the hinge & gently ease it away from the wheel, moving it horizontally towards the driver's door, then towards you as it frees from the steering wheel.....................then toss it casually & with a debonair sense of abandon into the passenger footwell (assuming that seat is unoccupied of course) & drive away feeling really rather pleased with yourself for not cracking the windscreen &/or losing a finger or two! :lol:
"We're on the road to anywhere, with never a heartache & never a care!"

www.retronicsonline.com
Giving vintage a touch of the modern.