Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
toulky
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Car Insurance

Post by toulky »

We are looking for recommendations for insurance for our 1965 Morris Minor Convertible We had it insured with Bewiser in the past. Although we estimated the value at £10500 as it has been extensively restored, I did wonder if it was involved in an accident we would get anywhere near that value if it was written off.
The car is also exempt from MOT as of May 2018 and was wondering what effect this might have on insurance premiums for the vehicle.
The car is only used for shows and fine days out so mileage is low (500) year. What are others typically paying for similar insurance cover?

Regards
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Car Insurance

Post by SteveClem »

Last year I paid £290 for a group classic policy which included my 2 minors,an A30, a beetle and an old Landy.All with agreed valuations but mileage restriction of 12,000 per year in total. Not allowed to drive them abroad. I used the local broker who has done a good job for me since we moved to the area 30 years ago.
I asked about the mot exemption, as 4 of them fall into that category, and was told that it made no difference at the moment but underwriters are monitoring the situation.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Mine is insured through Footman James. Agreed value £5500 with a £100 excess. Therefore in the event of the car being written off I get £5400 back. Single car policy. Me only driving. No foreign travel. Limited to 3000 miles a year (I only average 1000 a year at present). I've got points on my licence so my premium this year was £134. Not sure how FJ are viewing MOT exemption as mine was tested just prior to insurance renewal this year. IIRC they accept owners valuations upto £90,000 without question but require an independent valuation if the vehicle's value is any higher than that figure.
1956 4-door called Max
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Regarding mot exemption and insurance. Prior to this latest batch of cars going mot free, I didn't hear of any problems re insurance when the cars of pre 60 or what ever it was, were running around exempt. Companies won't be slow in doing something if folk start bringing it to their attention! Then we'll have to pay more.
Let sleeping dogs lie.