Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mm1
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

car viewing question

Post by mm1 »

Hi all

I have just been to have a look around a car- a 4 door saloon on a 63 plate.
The only query I had was the engine had no reference any where with regards to the unleaded head fitted, there were lots of paperwork and bills including an engine change/overhaul around 10 years ago.

Is there anyway of telling it has been done by just looking in the engine bay. The car is being sold by a car dealer so they have never put fuel in it, he said the last owner has done about 1000 mile over the last 10 years but there is no info from the previous owner unless he is no longer with us?

Another question, is the neg earth conversion costly?

And finally, I noticed some flaky rust through a seam inside the upper sill but was mainly obscured by the sill covers, is it out of order to start unscrewing panels to get a better look(?) to be fair to the dealer he did say I could put it on his car ramp for a better inspection.

Many Thanks
Monty-4
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: car viewing question

Post by Monty-4 »

There is no way of telling whether it's been converted to unleaded by sight, but many say it's not absolutely essential unless you're hammering it up and down the motorway for miles, and then there are lead additives which aren't too expensive.

Converting to negative earth costs nothing and takes about 5 minutes unless a specific positive earth alternator has been fit which is very unlikely.

I'd definitely want to check out the sills, that could be a very expensive bill indeed. Good luck :)
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
mm1
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: car viewing question

Post by mm1 »

Thank you Monty, some good info there.

I am going to try and call in on WRCC on Saturday if they're open so this will give me some comparisons on what people are saying when they mention good, excellent, honest, solid anon :roll:

The bonus at the moment is the car I have just seen is literally on my door step but it will be interesting what else is out there for not much more money or indeed less.