Mildred my convertible

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
shabskay
MMOC Member: No

Mildred my convertible

Post by shabskay »

Good afternoon. I am after some advice regarding my morris minor. I have owned her for over 20 years and now she has gone to have lots of work done. It started off with just some general work that needed to be done but I soon realised I needed to get a lot of work carried out. The car is a 1960 original convertible and was in smoke grey - but when I bought her 1995 she was already a sort of old English white colour. I am going to have her re painted and want to find the nearest match to old English white paint that was originally used. I have been told the code is WT3 but this is of no help as you cannot match it to any modern paint.
Does anyone know the nearest colour to the original old English white paint that was used please?? or any suggestions? I am sure there are plenty of people that have had their car resprayed over the years. Many thanks in advance.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Mildred my convertible

Post by ManyMinors »

My own convertible is Old English White. When I have had to carry out areas of repairs I have ordered that colour paint from a local paint supplier(as you say, the code is WT3) and received it without any trouble. It matches perfectly well. Who has suggested to you that it is not available? If it is a garage business then I'd suggest you find another one who has some experience...... Old colours are readily available from a variety of sources. There is no need to find a modern colour which is similar unless you prefer to follow that route.
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

Yes, Old English White is readily available ( and the colour of choice for many Minor wheels and grills). One of the easiest colours to match I think.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Is cellulose old English white still available as per original specification?
Is the body shop tooled up for spraying cellulose?

Has there been a misunderstanding over say two pack paint and cellulose.

ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

A good paint manufactor should be able to supply two pack paint in the correct colour Old English White.If thats the problem
In Ireland I got Empire Green For my series MM from ppg paint easy enough
Maybe that cant be bothered to enquire with their paint suppliers

panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I've not long had some paint matched for my Commer Jennings Roadranger. It's an unknown shade of beige and the paint suppliers (P&M Panels in Warrington) did a fantastic job in getting it right - very difficult to tell original from new and no issue with mixing it in celly. So it's where you go to get the paint that matters.