Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
kevin s
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Tyres

Post by kevin s »

We have 13" diameter / 4.5" wide tubeless wheels on our minor, this gives a wide range of affordable tyres, currently it has very old 145 80 tyres which need replacing,
The question is what size to fit, I would like to go larger to fill the arches better so it is either 155 80 or 165 80, does anyone have any experience of 165 tyres, does the steering get too heavy, any other problems?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: Tyres

Post by ManyMinors »

The steering will be fine with a 165 section tyre. I had 165/80/14 on mine for some time (fitted to 4.5" wheels) and the steering was not vastly more heavy. I'd say you should go for it :)
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

You can successfully fit 165-width tyres on a Minor, so long as you have the 4.5J rims, as I currently have on my 1970 Traveller (LP971 van rims, though I have also tried 4.5J 13" Austin-Healey Sprite rims).

Steering isn't particularly heavy, and it generally rides and handles quite well.

Some purists, of course, say you shouldn't really go any wider than the original spec. skinny 135/145 width tyres on standard rims, but as long as you know your chassis legs and eyebolts, etc. are sound, you shouldn't face any major issues going a bit wider - after all, the wider 4.5J wheels were fitted as standard to post office/8cwt vans, etc., though AFAIK, they were generally shod with 145 radials in period, as was one of my spare LP917 rims until recently.

A few years ago, I did once have 175-width commercial van tyres fitted on the back of my Traveller (which was also lowered 1.5" all round back then), but they were a bit too wide, although filled out the arches nicely! :lol:
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
James k
Minor Addict

Post by James k »

I had all the tyres replaced on my traveller a few weeks ago. I was considering 155 tyres but decided in the end to get Bridgestone 145s. I've done a lot of motorway driving over the past week or so and have found them absolutely superb. The car always felt dodgy changing lanes on motorways before, like it might skid and just generally unstable, with the new tyres it's brilliant. It just feels extremely solid and much safer. I really couldn't be happier with them.

On the other hand, lots of people run 155s and get on well with them. I just wanted to say that the new 145s have transformed it and that the less than perfect handling may well be due to the tyres being old rather than their size.
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Thanks for the replies, On balance I will be going for 165's on the 13" rims which will give me a rolling radius similar to 145's on 14" rims.
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

As far as I know, all post office vans were built as 6cwt vans and had the standard car 3.5j rims. 8cwt commercials were an option from the late 60s onwards which explains their scarcity these days...
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

As far as I know, all post office vans were built as 6cwt vans and had the standard car 3.5j rims. 8cwt commercials were an option from the late 60s onwards which explains their scarcity these days...
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!