Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
acmsb
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

clutch replacement/clutch kits

Post by acmsb »

Hi everybody.
After long last the traveller is up and running again and the engine is running sweet, but i can't help noticing that the thrust release bearing is a tad on the noisy side, so i wan't to get that done as soon as possible. I don't intend just replacing the bearing itself, but it as a kit with the cover and the friction plate, question is can anyone recomend a good brand? I am currently looking at a Borg and Beck kit, and they are about the only name i recognise. Any advice and experiences would be much appreciated.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: clutch replacement/clutch kits

Post by ManyMinors »

If you have an original clutch and it is in good condition, there is no reason to change the whole thing. Borg Beck replacements available now are not "the real thing" unfortunately, That is why they are so cheap. There is not much alternative though as far as I know.....
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Plenty of Borg and Beck nos clutches about try Ebay :)
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Every "Borg & Beck" clutch currently on ebay is a reproduction. Genuine originals are very hard to come by now.
acmsb
Minor Friendly

Post by acmsb »

Hi guys

That's really helpful thank you!

In fact the clutch isn't original (I had to get the original replaced about 10 years ago) so l am open minded about replacing it! If there are any better makes around than B&B I'm open to suggestions!

We're also considering the best way to go about it. I'm reluctant to take the engine out - is it possible/feasible/plausible to do it without doing so, or would I just be creating more work for myself?

Thanks again for all the advice!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

My view is it's less hassle taking the engine out than the alternative, when removing, once it's up in the air you can revolve it through 180 degrees and replace the clutch whilst the engine hangs there. Steady from under, if you need to, to stop it swinging about too much.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I agree that I have generally found it less trouble to remove the engine to carry out a clutch change. If you have a vehicle ramp/lift then it is perhaps a different matter but most of us do not......
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Engine out is far easier than the alternative iof removing the gearbox and then having to work in the flywheel area from under the car.
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

What about taking engine and gearbox out, there's not a lot more to disconnect, and then it is much easier to get the gearbox and engine mated correctly on the floor, and less chance of damaging the driven plate by not getting the input shaft properly aligned. What do others think?

Good opportunity to clean up and lubricate the clutch and brake pedals as well.
acmsb
Minor Friendly

Post by acmsb »

Hello everyone

Thank you for your help. We managed the clutch change yesterday without taking the engine out. We lifted the floor plate above the gearbox and managed to lift the gearbox up through the hole into the car. We then replaced the clutch.

The reason for this update is to let you know that we had a bit of trouble getting the gearbox back in with the new clutch, because the new clutch is slightly different. We bought a Borg and Beck clutch kit, which as far as we could see was exactly the same as the old unit. However on refitting the gearbox we ran out of room, it being stuck between the steering rack and the pressure cover. The only way to resolve this was to remove the rear upper engine support and modestly jack the front of the engine up to put a few mm "lean" on it, giving the clearance at the back. It turns out that the replacement pressure cover was 5mm deeper.

We thought this might be useful for other members to be aware of

Best wishes

Alex
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

I'm amazed you could remove the gearbox without lowering the rear of the engine. That's standard procedure. Did you do all the wrestling of the gearbox from above? Surely someone had to be working below to get the bell housing into place, in which case you also could have save yourself from removing the 33 screws for the floor cover unless the cross member bolts needed attention. It's still not the nicest way to do the job.
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

Engine out every time.I tried it the other way once, never again. It is also good to clean the engine and tidy up the engine room!!