Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
acmsb
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Bonnet Catch Release broken - help!

Post by acmsb »

Hello everyone

I am the owner of a 1969 Morris Traveller and have an emergency! The split pin holding the bonnet catch release fell out, so that when I pulled it to open the bonnet, the bonnet wouldn't open - and I just pulled the release straight through!

I now can't open the bonnet at all and am in the middle of sorting out fuses etc, so really need to get it open! Is there a way to open the bonnet without the catch release?

Sorry to bother everyone with what is probably a stupid question, but has anyone else had this?! All answers VERY gratefully received!

Thank you from an MMOC member in a giant panic!!!

Alex
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Bonnet Catch Release broken - help!

Post by firedrake1942 »

You may be able to feel the connecting mechanism by putting fingers into the top of the rad grille on the left hand side of the bonnet emblem and pull left, I have had to do it once.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by firedrake1942 »

You may be able to feel the connecting mechanism by putting fingers into the top of the rad grille on the left hand side of the bonnet emblem and pull left, I have had to do it once.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Or you may be able to get at it from underneath if you have long arms (and maybe a screwdriver or similar to reach up to it). A bit fiddly - and a torch will help.
acmsb
Minor Friendly

Post by acmsb »

Hello all

Thanks for your help. After a bit of exploration, we were able to get it undone - we managed to get a coathanger through the front grill and hoooked through one of the holes in the release mechanism. So all resolved, but a useful lesson definitely learnt!

Alex