Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mike Shipman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Hoses query

Post by Mike Shipman »

Apologies if this is in the wrong section...
I noticed that I have a small leak from my top radiator hose, all of the hoses look the same age, would you folks replace just the leaky hose, or if one has a leak, would you replace all three?
Also, any tips on the removal of the old and putting on the new would be appreciated.
Many thanks, Mike.
Mike Shipman,
Seaton, Torpoint, Cornwall.
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Re: Hoses query

Post by paul 300358 »

I would replace the top hose just to keep it running then change them all, including the bypass hose, when I had a free day.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

To my mind it makes sense to replace both top and bottom radiator hoses. They're pretty inexpensive and easy enough to change. I did both of mine last year after finding a pin-hole in the bottom hose.
The bottom hose is extremely easy to replace... a five minute job. The top hose is just as easy. I found it best (once the clips were slackened off) to slide the hose as far onto the radiator elbow as possible to release it from the thermostat housing first, then pull it off the radiator elbow. Fit the new one the same way... radiator elbow first then thermostat housing.

Other hoses... have a look at the little by-pass hose (top of water pump to underside of cylinder head beneath thermostat). Two types available. One has 'concertina' design. Quite fiddly to fit, often doesn't last long and considered by some to be a temporary get-you-home fix only. Longer-lasting straight-sided hose will most likely need water-pump removal to install. It is possible to convert this to a metal by-pass tube instead... a permanent fix but a more involved task. It's been covered on the forum before somewhere. Heater hoses... just check for perishing/cracking at the under-bonnet ends. If you find any, I'd be changing them. Presumably (never done it), some contortions with a torch inside the car will give you an indication of their condition at the other end!
1956 4-door called Max
KeithL
Minor Fan

Post by KeithL »

Does anyone have any recommendations for the best quality (not necessarily the cheapest) hoses or supplier to use? Are silicon hoses worth considering?

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Mixed opinions regarding silicone hoses. I used standard hoses from David Manners on mine. I don't do a high mileage. They're holding up well so far :)
1956 4-door called Max
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

I second that on the heater hoses.
Mine looked fine at first glance, but if got hold of one and put a bend in it they were totally cracked through the rubber outer membrane.
Whilst I was checking mine it sprung a leak there and then just by disturbing it. Luckily I had already bought a set of replacement hoses.

The other thing I did when I was installing the new heater hoses was to connect the garden hose to each one in turn a few times and flush out the heater matrix, I was amazed at the amount of brown crud that came out before I got it to run clear. That was why the heater had never worked very well, but now it is super warm. Well worth the half hours work to do it.

I also discarded the cable operated heater valve and replaced it with the good old fashioned brass tap type from the earlier model, I have heard a few stories of those cable valves disintegrating and dumping all your coolant when you least expect it.

Phil