Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
will.broad
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Boot lid locked but still opens

Post by will.broad »

I have adjusted the striker plate, (i think thats what its called) but with the handle locked it turns only a slight amount but its enough to open the boot. When I close the boot I can hear it "click" shut and the key locks the handle, but as i say there is slight play in turning the handle which is enough to pull open the boot.

I can see slight wear in the striker plate, is that nackered or is it needing a new lock?

Should the handle have slight play when in locked position?

Also the arm on the back of the lock can be moved even in the locked position is this correct?

Thanks for any advice as I park the Morris outside my house and need a working lock. I know they can be undone easy but it helps to have a lock that works.
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Boot lid locked but still opens

Post by philthehill »

I would suggest that you have compounded wear throughout the boot lock, handle and striker plate which is allowing the handle and catch to disengage.
For security change the catch and striker plate as a first move.

paul 300358
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by paul 300358 »

Try removing the handle and turning 180 degrees, this worked on mine which had been fitted the wrong way round.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

I had the same problem with mine. As Phil says - there is probably some wear in each component but on mine a new locking handle cured it.