Headlining four door saloon

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
benedetto10
MMOC Member: No

Headlining four door saloon

Post by benedetto10 »

Dear sir I am restoring my 1957 four door minor saloon. It has a beige headlining. I have to change it because it presents some holes. Please could you suggest me the correct item to buy because I have found a Headlining-Saloon October 1956-On and also Headlining-Saloon 1956/57 Large Rear Window 4-Hoops: what's the difference? And how is the correct for me?

Thanks, Max
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Headlining four door saloon

Post by simmitc »

Hello Max, and welcome to the forum. The answer is in the description, one headlining is for cars with the larger rear window. Early cars had a small rear window, later ones had a "large" (still small by today's standards) rear window. If you measure your rear window and post the dimensions then we can tell you which you have. Alternatively, have a look at some other cars for comparison and it should become clear.

The change in window size was made in October 1956 from car number 448801 onwards. The problem with being close to that date is when your car was actually built - it may have been before hand and been sitting in stock somewhere before being sold. At the same time that the window size increased, the car "should" have been fitted with a 948cc A-series engine; but even that could have been changed during the life of the car and so is not a perfect guide.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Just checked, and the larger window is approximately 40 inches wide by 12 inches tall. If yours is close to that then it's a large one, if it is significantly smaller then it's the small one. I hope that helps. Also, look at the existing headlining. You should see rows of stitching running across the car. Each one of those will correspond with a pocket above the lining through which a metal hoop is fitted to support the lining. Therefore the number of rows of stitching represents the number of hoops fitted.

You should now have the size of the window, the year of the car, and the number of hoops; all of which will hopefully tie together and point to the correct part description.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

ESM sell the headlining you need. Part number TRM122
1956 4-door called Max
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

If the car truly is a 1957 model then it will be an early 1000 with the larger rear window....the crucial clue will be that it does not have a split-windscreen in front.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I would imagine that all the Morris Minor parts suppliers actually purchase their headlinings from Newton Commercial. As far as I know (having tried to buy one for my own car) the correct material for a 1957 Minor is not available anywhere so you just have to get the closest you can. The material used originally is very brittle hence it is very unusual to have a car that age with un un-damaged headlining!
As others have said, if your car has the single piece windscreen, it is a Minor 1000 and has the larger rear windscreen.
If it has a split, two piece front windscreen, it will also have the smaller rear windscreen.
Last edited by ManyMinors on Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Yes, I am surprised that, given the wide range of interiors that they do supply, Newton Commercial don't do the headlining in the correct material for the early 1000's and, indeed, for the split-screens. It is disappointing that they only do a grey - which might look OK - or a fleck material which, at least, seems to be the correct texture. I have heard of people spraying this with a beige-coloured vinyl paint and it is something I have been thinking about attempting for a while now as my old headling has a badly repaired rip in it. But I find the idea a bit daunting and can't get round to attempting this! :-?
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

If you are going to do it yourself,don't rip the headlining off the wooded former above the front window frame.Use it to measure the old lining because the new ones are aren't made to measure and they are folded round the former to get the length right. Its a nightmare if you try to calculate the length without the old one still attached. Also be careful to mark the metal hoops,they look the same but they are all slightly different lengths and specific positionally .they will fit, but don't tension the cloth if in the wrong position.Don't ask why I know this :( :( :o

Good luck with it
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Many Thanks chaps,this is on my Winter to-do list, along with heated front and rear screens and quad roof speakers ( hidden behind the head-lining...)

John :wink: