Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
southerly95
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Everything that worried us re new Mot

Post by southerly95 »

See link re car stopped for being in a dangerous condition despite being Mot exempt, not good 👎

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/a47- ... letterlink
[sig]4918[/sig]
twincamman
Minor Fan

Re: Everything that worried us re new Mot

Post by twincamman »

This has always been the case. There has always been an onus on the motorist to maintain their vehicle in a roadworthy condition, regardless of MOT. Ask yourself this:- If your car has a valid MOT, would you happily drive it with no lights or bald tyres and expect the Police to let you get away with it?
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Many people have been borrowing tyres for mots etc for years, guy was also close to drink linit too.

Not sure what the ripped seat has to do with it being unroadworthy though!
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

If a seat is ripped (and we do not know how bad it was) it could totally collapse and the driver could loose control.
The seat should be in good condition and fit for purpose.

paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

I don't agree with drink driving but I fail to see what being close to the limit has to do with the paper. If he was over the limit he deserves to be arrested, if he is under the limit it should not have been considered.
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

in a vehicle looking like that, he deserved to be stopped.
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

philthehill wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:17 pm If a seat is ripped (and we do not know how bad it was) it could totally collapse and the driver could loose control.
The seat should be in good condition and fit for purpose.
It was a series 2 landrover, the seat is effectively a block of foam on top of the fuel tank and the cover is ripped, if it collapses into that it really is on a state!

The tyre they showed was almost completely bald anyone should be able to spot that mot or not, he deserves whatever they throw at him.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Kevin
I am unable to open the link so unable determine what the damage is other than viewing the rear of the Landrover.
I have just got rid of my Ser 3 Air-portable so am aware of the design/style of the seats which as you say are a fabric encased block of foam but they still need to be in good condition to provide driver security and support.
The seat also needs to be fixed to the body otherwise the seat squab can move and upset the drivers control of the vehicle.
The drivers seat squab on my Landrover was fixed to the access hatch over the fuel tank which was attached and secured to the seat support frame so could not move in any direction.
Phil

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I suppose it's all about using common sense, an attribute that seems to be getting rarer...
kevin s
Minor Legend

Post by kevin s »

Phil as you say it could be insecure (i seem to remember mine just lifted out perhaps I am just thinking of the passenger one). The police do seem to be looking at it superficially , there are 4 photos, one of the rear painted in graffiti style (nothing illegal in this, plenty of vans are covered in full wraps nowadays) , one of the breatherliser reading (21 vs a limit of 35), one of the tyre (approx half the width of the tyre almost bald, clearly a major issue), and the 4th is the seat with a big rip in it.
Given the level of maintainance demonstrated by the tyre and my experience with old landrovers I wouldnt be suprised if it had rusty chassis, worn out bushes and leaky wheel cylinders!
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

This topic would be interesting if it was a car with a new MOT that had dangerous defects...

The vehicle is exempt from MOT but the driver remains responsible for keeping it roadworthy as all other drivers are....MOT or not

Im sure there are thousands of modern cars out there that could be stopped, inspected and found to have a serious and dangerous fault, bald tyre, no insurance etc...

Taupe