Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
parahandy 15
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Looking for a project

Post by parahandy 15 »

Hello, first post here ,so please excuse beginners efforts!

Having restored a few classics, and recently shrugged off the bonds of employment ,I am on the search for a Traveller.
Why? well because it was my first motor(nostalgia!) , and I want a practical small workhorse without the complexities of modern electronickery.I have experience in rebuilding wood framed cars.
I am fortunate to have a decent workshop with a 2 post lift and all the usual bits & pieces... welder, lathe, compressor etc etc. so
I am after a Traveller in restorable condition, not a total rot box ,preferably something in roadworthy condition or close .
I appreciate that such cars are getting thin on the ground, but am willing to pay a sensible price.
Is there a definitive restoration book/guide on the Traveller?
I am located in central Scotland however am quite happy to travel.
Thanks in advance..
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Looking for a project

Post by philthehill »

Welcome to the MMOC web site

You must have got that 'Vital Spark' to consider a Morris Minor Traveller.

I do hope that you are successful in your search and that you regale us with Para Handy's Tales of restoration.

Phil

parahandy 15
Minor Friendly

Post by parahandy 15 »

As I said ,it was my first car and it was "Chust Sublime"
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

The book to get is Ray Newell's "Morris Minor Traveller". Quite expensive, and most of it is general history available elsewhere (sorry Ray) - but it has a section on timber replacement written by Steve Foreman of Woodies (timber frame manufacturer) which is invaluable. Also do your searching on here and you'll find a couple of threads very, very useful - look for NeilMG and Taupe in particular.

I think you are going about it in the right way - some people (including me :oops:) have bought what looked like reasonable condition Minors and have found out the hard (but interesting) way that they may as well have started with little more than a rusty shell!

Mark
parahandy 15
Minor Friendly

Post by parahandy 15 »

Well, still looking, I have seen a few but they seem to be either held together by fresh air and underseal or "restored to a high standard"
and displaying an optimistic price tag.
Some vendors' idea of "good wood" appears to be suitable for use in a wood burning stove..one even had been repaired using knotty pine!
I expect that my experience is shared with other would-be restorers, but Hey ho, I will keep looking.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Most of the project cars offered nowadays are pretty rusty but repair sections are available and mostly not too expensive so if you have welding facilities you might consider one with a ‘sunshine floor’ as long as it’s cheap.