Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
glynny
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

valuation prices

Post by glynny »

could anyone explain why series 2 split screens are priced so low when visting shows i hardly see any i own a 1953 4door saloon worth half the price of the later models curious to know why the difference
cheers
les
Minor Maniac

Re: valuation prices

Post by les »

Maybe the later models are in more of a demand, Prices of all cars vary depending on what folk find appealing.

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Smaller engine size might put a few off :(
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

The value of anything is due to supply and demand. The values of Series 11 cars has always been relatively low. The very earliest cars (the lowlight MMs) have their own market of course but despite the visual and characterful appeal the Series 11 simply isn't practical for most owners so they opt for the Minor 1000 instead. Many parts are now very difficult to source for the earlier cars and they are underpowered in standard form with inferior visibility, heating, lighting, no simple provision for seatbelts etc etc. Of course, most of these problems can be overcome with but only at the expense of originality which many owners won't want to compromise. Therefore you are left with a car which is of less use on todays roads than a later model. I think it is that simple really.

The Series 11 is a great car to keep in your garage and take to shows in the summer but really not so good for regular, practical driving.
martin418
Minor Fan

Post by martin418 »

i feel that's a slightly negative view of the s 11 cars ,i know my one has got a 1098 engine and diff + 8'' brakes [ i have the original parts if i want it original ] and makes it perfectly useable , i am not sure about the '' inferior ''visibility problem or the heater issues , i feel they are more pure model of the minor with period charm which the latter models seem to lack
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

I'm simply being realistic rather than negative. The very fact that you've found it necessary to fit the Minor 1000 engine, differential and brakes shows that you too are aware of these shortcomings. The Series 11 was not "pure". Only the original MM can claim that surely? The Series 11 came about because the US market insisted on the repositioning of the headlamps, and Austin, after the formation of BMC, insisted on the installation of their weak and underpowered 803cc engine.

My comments on the inferior (to a Minor 1000) visibility refer to the tiny rear windscreen, the smaller split front windscreen and the terrible windscreen wipers. The heater on a Series 11 is inferior because (for the those cars that were even fitted with one at all!) they had no fresh air intake which meant very poor demisting which again leads to poor visibility. I speak as a former Series 11 owner who couldn't wait to change it for a Minor 1000, so I do have wide experience of both! :wink: Also, I am talking about running these cars as a practical means of regular transport all year round rather than as a hobby car for occasional use.

I agree that the Series 11 is full of "period charm" but the fact remains that a Minor 1000 is, for most owners, a much more practical car. That is why the Series 11 has a lower value. It is horses for courses really - and depends on what your needs are. I also agree that a Series 11 fitted with all the mechanical parts from a Minor 1000 can become a practical car - but at what stage have you simply created a Minor 1000 anyway?
martin418
Minor Fan

Post by martin418 »

i apologize for my opinion and for calling it a pure car , i new i should not have posted my thoughts
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

I have always preferred the style of the SII, the 2 door is the best looking Minor IMHO. Wouldn't have the 803 though, the 948 is a much sweeter and tunable engine. Still looking for the right car.
On the wider issue of valuations, there are a lot of later cars at speculative prices, especially Travellers.
Good home offered for custom splittie
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I hope we don’t have to apologise for voicing an opinion! :o

Edward1949
Minor Fan

Post by Edward1949 »

martin418 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:26 am i feel that's a slightly negative view of the s 11 cars ,i know my one has got a 1098 engine and diff + 8'' brakes [ i have the original parts if i want it original ] and makes it perfectly useable , i am not sure about the '' inferior ''visibility problem or the heater issues , i feel they are more pure model of the minor with period charm which the latter models seem to lack
You're describing my ideal Minor for modern use. I find that the small rear window and split screen are part of the charm. Best in my opinion was the MM with its stylish,well-instrumented dashboard and far better bucket seats.

I now drive a 1968 saloon in original fettle. It's fine in modern traffic, but I'd still prefer a splitty.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

martin418 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:04 am i apologize for my opinion and for calling it a pure car , i new i should not have posted my thoughts
Martin, everyone is entitled to and welcome to express their opinion(s), Mine and yours might differ a little but they are simply our opinions :). Like you, if I still owned a Series11 I would feel the need to "update" it quite a bit before I would consider using it as regular transport.
This post is regarding values - specifically why the values of the Series 11 models are less than those of the Minor 1000. I am suggesting that this is because the Series 11 has a less wide appeal and that this is due to its less practical nature but maybe there is another reason?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

les wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:49 am I hope we don’t have to apologise for voicing an opinion! :o
Haha, So do I Les! :)
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Many Minors - " I am suggesting that this is because the Series 11 has a less wide appeal and that this is due to its less practical nature but maybe there is another reason?"
Yes, 'cos the windscreen invariably leaks! :-?
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

There'll be as many opinions as there are people - everyone has their interpretation of what makes a perfect Minor. Fortunately, we're a broad church and are happy to welcome all :D
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster