Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

A Very Beautiful Morris Car

Post by myoldjalopy »

Happened to chance on this and though others might like to see it as well. This beautiful old Morris Oxford MO has all the sophistication and refinements to rival a modern car (without, obviously, the technology) and makes my 'de-luxe' SII seem positively spartan in comparison!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptzEjjg7QXs
Greenie
Minor Fan

Re: A Very Beautiful Morris Car

Post by Greenie »

:) nice one.
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alanworland »

My Dad's cousin had an Empire green one years ago and it always impressed me at what a quality vehicle it was.

Alan
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I saw a very nice Traveller version at the Severn Valley Railway classic vehicle day a couple of years ago. I'm not in a position to take on more cars and whilst an MO wouldn't be right at the top of my list of further purchases (A pre war MG or Morgan 4/4, Land Rover Series or MG Z or Y Type would be), the MO would be above any Maserati/Lamborghini and indeed the only Ferrari, that might challenge it (And strictly speaking it's not a Ferrari), is the 246 Dino.
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

alanworland wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:36 pm My Dad's cousin had an Empire green one years ago and it always impressed me at what a quality vehicle it was.

Alan
Yes it looks it. My father has said that Nuffield cars were better made than BMC, which in turn were better than those of BL (This was mirrored in the finish of MG models, a T Type being far better than a mid 1970s MGB). Having said that, my 1979 MG Midget, which was only five years old when I bought it, didn't seem too bad but I think it is so simple, that there wasn't much to get wrong (And to be fair, Abingdon was apparently one of the better BL plants). It was certainly far better than a 1978 Morgan, in which I once rode from the factory to Cardiff (Where a dealer was to sell it). Perhaps the age of the model makes a difference. I have had a few Minis and although my '71 Traveller was a BL car, it seems to be a more sturdy car than any of my Minis were (They dated from between 1974 and 1987). It's as if the Nuffield genes are still there. Before I had a Minor or ever thought of owning one, I had tended to put them in the same BL boat and whilst my Minor was over 30 years old when I bought it, reading between the lines, I'd say it probably compared quite well with a VW Beetle, that my mother had new in 1972 (Which to be fair was very well made....even if it didn't handle very well).