Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Exhaust raspberries

Post by Blaketon »

I saw the item on this in the last Minor Matters and was reminded of it when a Series 2 went past the shop yesterday, on a trailing throttle. My Traveller sounds more like an MG Midget (It has a Midget 1275 engine and a non standard exhaust - that was the way it was when I bought it), though I have driven Minors (Series 2, 3 & 5) that made the normal and distinctive sound. According to the article, some people like it, other's don't. To me it's just something a lot of Minors do and I wouldn't object if mine still did (It reminds me of a trombone). However, if gaining a bit more go means you lose it, so be it. It's not something I would change for the sake of it.

It crossed my mind that early Minis had a similar exhaust phenomenon (My first one did) but Coopers never did, nor did later Minis. I wonder was it intentional (Certainly on Minis it was designed out, whether by intent or accident)? A clue would be found in whether the side valve Minors do it. If not, then it must simply be something connected to the A Series engine, although the A 35 and A 40 Farinas never did it.
pgp001
Minor Addict

Re: Exhaust raspberries

Post by pgp001 »

Mine used to do it all the time, but I recently changed the worn out carburettor to a reconditioned one that has the little spring loaded relief valve in the throttle butterfly plate.

That seems to have killed my raspberry !!

Phil
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

After fitting a new exhaust recently, my exhaust note is louder, fatter and fruitier! Its awesome and I love it!
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

One of our Sidevalves does it but the other 3 don't.
Cardiff, UK
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alanworland »

My sidevalve does it but it's definitely louder when the exhaust is cold.
The sounds all originate from the days when you could identify a vehicle by its exhaust note!

Alan
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

alanworland wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:52 pm The sounds all originate from the days when you could identify a vehicle by its exhaust note!

Alan
The MGB GT also comes to mind in that regard.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

When I fire the old Beetle up all the pigeons fly away, the dogs hide and my wife pretends that she doesn't know me...must do something with that exhaust! :D
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

A shorter tailpipe farts less. I once fitted a full new system and the tailpipe projected past the bumper. To prevent damage from reversing I had the angle grinder out and lobbed a good 6 inches off, definite difference.
Good home offered for custom splittie
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

Myrtles Man wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:08 pm
alanworland wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:52 pm The sounds all originate from the days when you could identify a vehicle by its exhaust note!

Alan
The MGB GT also comes to mind in that regard.
Early MGBs sound more "B like" than later ones. This reminds me of when I was a youngster, we used to live on a quietish road, not far from the top of a hill. I sometimes used to play games trying to identify the vehicle before it came into view. There was a waterboard depot about half a mile away and their Bedford HA vans were easy, so were Leyland PD2 buses and Ford Transits but it was surprising how many I got right. I used to have piano lessons at the time and it was found that I had perfect pitch, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Nowadays I often need to see the badge in order to tell what it is but if I hear a classic coming, I will sit up.
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

pgp001 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:59 am Mine used to do it all the time, but I recently changed the worn out carburettor to a reconditioned one that has the little spring loaded relief valve in the throttle butterfly plate.

That seems to have killed my raspberry !!

Phil
That's interesting. Off the top of my head, I can't recall what those little valves are for but I think it's to do with emissions. My (1979) MG Midget had them and soon after I bought it, I took it to get it tuned. The tuners (The Boshier Jones brothers, of Hillclimbing fame) told me to ditch them and fit plane butterflies but I can't recall why. Maybe, if these devices were being fitted in those days, this explains why others BL cars lost some of their raspberry tendencies. I can't recall whether my later Minis (1980 and 87) had them. The Midget is now on Dellortos anyway.
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Marina TC, now they sound nice!

Alan
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

Probably sacrilegious to mention it on this site but the Alfasud had a deliciously individual rasp to it too. Mrs MM bought one new and it didn't show any signs of rust at all for nearly two years! :o
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

alanworland wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:07 pm Marina TC, now they sound nice!

Alan
Years ago I had a standard very early 1275 Marina. The exhaust kept parting company with the manifold flange under 'enthusiastic' driving. After the third such incident I added an additional support bracket attached to the bell-housing. Never had it come adrift again but at certain revs it produced a curious 'turbo whistle' from the tailpipe 😊
1956 4-door called Max