Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
can687
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

tyres

Post by can687 »

Hello there, in July 2016 I had four new tyres fitted at the local tyre dealers. He could not get 145s so I had 155s fitted. The tyres are Nankang 155 x 80 x R14 81T and up to today I was quite happy with them. Today I removed the wheels to adjust the brakes and noticed that the tyres are beginning to split at the bottom of the tread patten around the circumference. My question is, is this normal, ie, about three years and approx. 2500 miles. Can anyone recommend tyres that will last quite a bit longer as the Morris fund can't afford constant tyre changing. Changing the subject, in an earlier post I was asking about problems I was having with tickover. This has now been resolved by running the car on super unleaded, it runs much better!
Pete
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: tyres

Post by simmitc »

What age are the tyres? Check the date on the sidewall, not just when you fitted them. Three years / 2,500 miles is not acceptable, so take them back to the supplier. realisitcally, you'll probably have a battle, but worth a try. regretfully I have found even Bridgestone's having similar problems. Have a word with Longstone Tyres as they have some (admittedly expensive) Pirelli tyres available, and they should last a lot longer.
can687
Minor Friendly

Post by can687 »

Hello Simmitc, thanks for the reply. I have looked at the sidewalls of my tyres and they have a box that reads 2896 0916 on two and 2896 1016 on the other two. I assume this means two made in the ninth week and two made in the tenth week of 2016. I will go and see what the tyre dealer has to say, but I don't hold out much hope and think I will be buying new tyres. I looked at Longstones but I can't afford their Pirellis. Thanks, Pete
TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

They do the Michelin X - I had 7 years and 50000 off a set. They weren't over £100 back then though.
Good home offered for custom splittie