Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Clip on door mirrors

Post by ManyMinors »

I fitted my mirrors exactly as suggested above: I cut the stud down so that it was no longer than needed to attach it to the triangle. It looks untidy to drill a hole through to the inside although a grommet could be fitted. I did this by finding a piece of wood to place inside the triangle to drill into and hold it firmly. Then, with the mirror attached to the triangle I simply opened the triangle up a little with my fingers to spring it over the window frame and attached it with the 2 screws. Once fitted, I adjusted it to give me perfect rearward vision - I haven't had to make wedges or anything. As Don says, maybe there have been some changes but I've had my mirrors for several years. I'm not sure whether the field of vision they give would suit a van with its very different, wider rear body but I would expect them to be worthwhile on a pick-up and would certainly give them a try. They are a very neat, effective and inexpensive addition.
RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

Makes sense Don, so hole on inside is larger

Will be interested in how ManyMinors did it
Russell Harvey
Minor LCV Register Historian
Freelance Motoring Journalist
http://www.Minorlcvreg.co.uk

RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

Many thanks all mirrors purchased and drilled large hole on the inside with rubber grommet

still a little way off fitting them
Russell Harvey

Banned User
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Banned User »

How about these?
Attachments
D1EE0355-6778-4F61-B21B-7F5D5CE31574.jpeg
D1EE0355-6778-4F61-B21B-7F5D5CE31574.jpeg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 1428 times
RussLCV
Minor Legend

Post by RussLCV »

Gillian Shaw's van, seen those
Russell Harvey

Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

RussLCV wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:18 am Gillian Shaw's van, seen those
Any idea what the mirrors are from? Motorcycle?
Banned User
Minor Fan

(Gillian Shaw) Clip on door mirrors

Post by Banned User »

If anyone knows Gillian, maybe they could ask her where the mirrors are from?
Steve Phillips
Minor Fan

Post by Steve Phillips »

Hi all,

I have successfully used VW beetle mirrors on minors before, yes yes I know I used the "VW" word,

A quick look on fle-bay came up with these results

This first set is for a vw bus so more commercial looking, in my opinion. I have not used these on a minor commercial so don't know if they will sit wide enough.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-VW-T ... ect=mobile

These are the actual mirrors I've used in the past, prices vary a lot depending who supplies them, but from my experience they all have stainless bodies and chrome arms (keep the arm waxed/polished because like aĺl Chinese chrome it will fail after a few years if not looked after) so I have always bought from the cheapest source, machine 7 has other mirrors available i believe, but so will every other air cooled vw supplier I suspect.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-VW-B ... ect=mobile

Russ you will need to drill a hole right through the triangular finisher by the quarter light, after carefully marking out the position, you will need a large metric nut to secure the mirror in place (not supplied with the mirror as the thread would already be in the vw door)
I can't remember what the thread is off the top of my head, but I can look it up when I'm back at work and should even have some suitable nuts if needed, you will end up with a 6mm hole on the inside of the quarter light finisher and here we normally remove the nut that comes supplied and replace it with a stainless dome nut, (I should have some of those if it helps.

To drill the big hole you will need a step drill, if you have stainless trim drill it slowley as its good quality stainess and if you run the drill fast you will blunt it, so slow with some cutting oil, if you use an ordinary drill it will probably snag the stainless and distort it, and you will be left with a horrible odd shaped hole, place a piece of scrap plywood between the inside / outside of the triangular trim while drilling it (needs to be a snug fit) this way you have something to press against.

Most of these mirrors are made so that you can remove the miror arm from the large threaded mounting, if so fit the threaded mount To the triangular trim and tighten the nut inside the trim piece, then fit the trim back onto the car and pass the arm through the threaded mount, tighten the 6mm nut inside the car, (you will always be able to se this nut) thats why i replace it with a M6 stainless dome nut,

If the mirror doesn't disassemble, you will have to place the trim piece back in place without its fixing screws and carefully pull the trim open a small amount, pass the mirror through the big hole and from the inside of the vehicle tighten the large nut in place, then pass the 6mm thread through the inner of the triangular piece and refit either the origional M6 nut or a new stainless dome nut.
If your quarter light finisher is mild steel and painted I suggest still using a step drill but you can get away with an ordinary drill if done carefully,

I don't have any pics available right now, but I have them on Minors so I could take a picture at the weekend and post it if that helps.

Wow that ended up being a bit long,

But hope it helps

Steve
Steve Phillips
Minor Fan

Post by Steve Phillips »

Forgot to say

There's other styles on fle-bay I just put in "vw beetle mirrors" so you will get some modern mirrors as well though.

Steve
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

Thanks to all who offered advice, especially Midget who sent me details of this.
Attachments
2814DBB6-71C2-40D1-8163-301F9CD9A919.jpeg
2814DBB6-71C2-40D1-8163-301F9CD9A919.jpeg (421.82 KiB) Viewed 1180 times