Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
TDV102
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: E-bay Scammers

Post by TDV102 »

irmscher wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 5:09 pm There are still lots of cars requesting your email and it says Germany in the listing :evil:
That's probably the most prolific offender, reported to ebay dozens of times. Police should go after him as I have no doubt its linked to organised crime. He often lists cars owned by WRCC
Good home offered for custom splittie
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Sleeper »

They also say , " do not bid but get in touch via email " , so guess what I do....bid :lol: and report the listing...

John :wink:
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

They are back on Ebay and starting at 99p and from Ireland now :evil:
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Well, you've got to give these scumbags full marks for ingenuity and persistence. There's the usual crop of fake vehicles for sale again today but now they're using a symbol above the letter 'n' to presumably get round some sort of filter that was automatically removing them.

Fortunately, I have rule never to buy anything off Fleabay that contains an iffy 'n' in the description :D . beware!!
Chief
Minor Addict

Post by Chief »

I got a sore foot tripping over a dismantled table - why? Because I dismantled it in preparation for the new eBay buyer who turned out to be a hacked account :-(

As to scam adverts if in your browser you enlarge the image gallery on eBay and either right click copy (image) location/link or left click drag the image to the tab bar (both methods are also handy for better image zoom viewing as an aside) and then copy the url from your address bar you can then use Google image search (by url) to search the web for the same or similar images. This will often return the original item(s) from which the images originally belonged to.

Another easy thing to spot is where they've copied the description, you can google part of the description "in quotes" to see if other items come up but you can also tell from the formatting as often it's missing and you can tell what was originally seperate paragraphs is now one giant block of text.

Finally a very common one I've seen is where they accidentally (or don't care provided it hooks someone I guess) post multiple photos of different vehicles so for example an exterior shot of a green car might show a white interior and the shot of the interior may show a black interior - it's also worth looking at the surroundings as well in the photos as if their house keeps changing location/shape/size and their number plates are covered or pixel painted (e.g photoshopped out) then there may be better purchases out there.

I've been scammed on eBay twice (dodgy dvds once they arrived and could be seen) and once elsewhere on a phone (got my money back that time though).

Other than that it's now always been scam buyers trying to rob me of my stuff and it's just easier to respond by replying with either as little info as possible to dissuade them or by saying you'll only do things within the eBay ToS which puts scammers off, though as stated yesterday I still ended up with a sore foot ;-) (in truth I'll probably try selling at a car boot sale in future, less hastle, or give the stuff to charity).
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

Now come on guys 'n gals, you've got to feel sorry for this guy. He's been let down by a 'no show' would-be purchaser
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1967-MORRIS- ... Sw4qZdvXGU

How unlucky can one person be?...…….Particularly when you look at his other items for sale and you realize the same thing has happened over 1700 times!!!!! JUST NO LUCK AT ALL :(

Interestingly though, all his other items have a whine from the gearbox and including a few caravans and some hovercrafts! You couldn't make it up. But on the other hand……..?

I know we've sort of done this topic to death a bit but I always have to ask myself a) what kind of person would seriously consider pursuing a purchase when it's so patently obvious that this is a scam and b) why cannot these scumbags be traced, perhaps with a 'sting' operation, or their listings be removed immediately?

Perhaps a tad controversial here - I'm sure there are some very sophisticated and smart scammers out there but anyone who gets caught by something as crude as this, really deserves all they get. The classic 'target market' for scammers is, typically, the elderly and/or those with failing mental capacity but surely this group would never be trawling Fleabay on the lookout for a Moggy, a Triumph Bonneville or a speed boat!
pgp001
Minor Addict

Post by pgp001 »

I was thinking of asking him if the Airstream Caravan gearbox has a whine in all gears or just 1st :D
The traveller was one sold quite locally to me, I recognised the photo straight away.

What a plonker :evil:

Phil
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Also has an Eriba caravan with gearbox whine :o :lol: