Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

E-bay Scammers

Post by myoldjalopy »

Elsewhere 'TVD102' has warned of E-bay scammers purporting to sell Morris Minor cars. But how can you tell that a listing is a scam? What to look out for? Thanks.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Re: E-bay Scammers

Post by ianmack »

Regular features of the dodgy ads seem to include sudden listing of a lot of cars at once, very low prices, lack of a location and most particularly a note in the description asking buyers to contact an email address rather than using the ebay message system. These ads are now appearing on such a regular basis that the photos they use are becoming familiar.

I guess the only answer is never to hand over any cash before seeing the car and meeting the vendor.
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

The request to contact by email can be detected by Ebay if in the description - so they often put it in the photos instead! Only takes one innocent buyer in hundreds to be worthwhile to these terrible people.

My nephew was caught out recently by a different scam. He sold a mountain bike on Ebay for over two thousand pounds (he's not rich but lives for biking) and the purchaser sent a courier to collect it. A few weeks later he was told that the purchaser had been refunded from my nephew's Paypal account, as he claimed that the bike had never been delivered. We assume that the "courier" must have been the purchaser. He's never seen his bike or his money again.
cococola
Minor Fan

Post by cococola »

These scammers make me so annoyed and I have reported so many of these adverts to ebay and yet they still keep appearing.
It is about time that Ebay bought in tighter measures to deal with these horrible people.
Morris Minors..... such fun :D
Steve Phillips
Minor Fan

Post by Steve Phillips »

Hi all

The eBay scammers have been around for many years, and there are many versions of scams,
A few of the things tthat I know of to look out for are,

Sometimes the seller will have an account with "0" or very low feedback, and the account will have only just been set up, (you used to be able to look at their details to see when the account was set up) they will sometimes buy 1 or 2 items to give the account credibility before conducting the scam. But it will only be 1- 2 low value items.

Sometimes the sellers location will be right up in Scotland, often a very rural place that's hard to get to, this limits the chance of people that will want to visit, other popular locations are north Wales, and Cornwall, and your told they will sort the delivery.

Some will have a story along the line of, if you pay for the car or what ever the item is they will deliver it free of charge, as they have a dying relative who happens to live near your location, so you can't collect as they are to and fro to look after the dying person and don't have time to wait in for you to collect but will drop it off when passing.
This is sometimes backed up by an email from pay pal on behalf of the seller that informs you the seller has a guaranteed fund available from PayPal, so that if you buy the car/item and he doesn't deliver it PayPal will give you all your money back, reality is the scammer sent you the pay pal email, NOT pay pal.

Another story often used is, yes my car is worth £20,000, but my husband-wife has left me for another person, and they and their new lover will get half of the money the item sells for (in the divorce) so I only want £5,000 for it, to get my own back on him-her.

And remember that PayPal will nearly always side with the buyer if they complain and demand their money back, regardless of if the buyer is lying or not.
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

You're not the only one who has reported these scumbags to eBay. I've done it multiple times and never even had an acknowledgement. I know these scammers use a different user-id every time so it can't be easy to keep on top of them.

Yet somebody at eBay must be monitoring what gets listed as only recently, a pal of mine, because of a dangerous allergic reaction to a bee sting, was forced to sell off his hives and his colony of bees. Within 30 minutes of his eBay listing he received an email from eBay tell him to take it down...…..it seems that bees are deemed to be 'livestock' which, of course, is not permitted. Needless to say, it never occurred to my mate that he had broken the rules and he modified the listing immediately.

If we can spot the scammers from 200 yards, blindfolded and at night why can't the people that really need to? Surely it wouldn't be too difficult to set up some sort of 'sting operation' to catch the b******s......and no, I'm not talking about bees again!! :D
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Ok, so........ people hand over their money without seeing the car? And do these cars actually exist?? It all seems very mysterious.....
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

myoldjalopy wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:00 am Ok, so........ people hand over their money without seeing the car? And do these cars actually exist?? It all seems very mysterious.....
It is quite possible that these people use photos without actually being in possession of the car. It might be interesting to make contact to see how they respond, but probably not a good idea to let them have your email address. I expect their method is to make various excuses about location and viewing and then say ‘Of course at this price I’ve had a lot of interest but I’ll reserve it for you if you can send a deposit..... ‘.

As for catching them they could be anywhere in the world.
POMMReg
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by POMMReg »

myoldjalopy wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:00 am Ok, so........ people hand over their money without seeing the car? And do these cars actually exist?? It all seems very mysterious.....
People are too trusting, best off messaging poss scammers questions only a genuine owner would know, henceforth, "what's the body/engine number", request pics of specific area's etc.

Certainly don't involve money until you see the vehicle, it check's out & doc's are in order.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
Banned User
Minor Fan

Post by Banned User »

I asked to see some pics, just to see if I got a response. This is what I got back, no pics or location though.

“Hello,

The Morris Minor van 1965. Ex Post Office Engineer's. 1275cc engine. Fresh MOT. is still for sale. In a very good overall condition with no faults or damages. No finance or money owning. HPI clear. My last asking price is £5000.

Please find below some info on the vehicle:

1965 Morris Minor 6 cwt Van

Originally a Post Office Engineer’s van serial number U114613 based in SE London.

Now fitted with a 1275cc Marina A+ engine and alternator. Standard Minor gearbox. Clutch type unknown.

Five good 155/80R14 radial tyres on standard rims (not later wide van rims).

MOT dated 28th September.

Excellent paint. Correct GPO Mid Bronze Green exterior, load area stripped to bare metal and repainted in correct GPO Light Straw cream. Engine bay stripped and re-painted.

Small- window rear doors fitted. GRP sun visor fitted. Extra rear view mirror fitted. Scissor jack and wheel brace supplied. Haynes Morris Minor manual.

Long term restoration over last eight years by three owners. Last taxed 2010.

New front wings, new lower van back panels, new sills, new sill finishers, new kick plates, new handbrake cables, new headlight bowls, new oil and filter, new top and bottom front bump stops, new window channel velvet strips for top and sides, new inertia seat belts, new rubber strip at bottom of doors, new air filter, new door cards, new footwell cards, new door pulls, new OSF shock absorber, new spark plugs, new gear lever rubber gaiter, new coil, new front carpet set, cab has been totally underlayed, new electric windscreen washer bottle, new steering rack gaiters, new rear rubber bumpers, new track rod ends, new front wheel nuts, new wiring loom, new brake pipes, some new brake cylinders, new master cylinder, new stainless steel exhaust and mounts, new chrome around front grill, new sidelight, rear light and indicator backs, new number plates, new clutch pedal shaft, tracking done, spare ignition keys, fitted electric water temp gauge, new grey carpet in load area, new rear number plate light, new battery securing bar, new flasher unit.

Where abouts are you based?

I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards,
Andrew John Felthouse

On Wed, 15 May 2019 at 17:02, Mike wrote:
Could you send me some pics please and rough location for pickup?

Many thanks.
Steve Phillips
Minor Fan

Post by Steve Phillips »

the same add with the same words comes up on "car and cassic .co.uk" although its not an active add anymore,

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1043340
Steve Phillips
Minor Fan

Post by Steve Phillips »

the two sellers below have over 7000 items for sale between them and they are both offering many the same items for sale, and most listings have the same style of words and similar contact email addresses.

so think we can say that if it looks like a fish,,, walks like a fish,,, smells like a fish,,, then to me its definately fishy,,,,,,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/bntradin2018 ... 7675.l2562

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/itsamotorthi ... 7675.l2562
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Fishier than a haddock thats eaten a plaice, a tin of tuna & had a night of passion with a cod, a salmon & a mackerel.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
Steve Phillips
Minor Fan

Post by Steve Phillips »

so greedy and sex mad then ?????
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

So it seems that people do part with their money without seeing/examining the car! :o
As the old adage goes 'A fool and their money are soon parted.' :-?
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

myoldjalopy wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:30 pm So it seems that people do part with their money without seeing/examining the car! :o
As the old adage goes 'A fool and their money are soon parted.' :-?
Speaking as a self confessed fool who has bought a few vehicles without seeing them, I can understand how people can be taken in by scams. I've never taken risks I can't afford to take, and I've not been seriously caught out yet, but younger, less experienced and less affluent people can clutch at straws and believe what they want to believe. Naive maybe, but they still need protecting from these villains, and the inaction from Ebay and others is scandalous.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

I have reported it five or six times and Ebay have done nothing :evil:
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Well something has happened with them, because now the top one has only 2 cars for sale, the 2nd one a solitary caravan :roll:
Basil the 1955 series II

ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

I think you have to be pretty stupid to give your money away to someone you don't know for something your not standing in front of.

it's like fools that buy cars before viewing them.

if your giving money away, I can email you my account details.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

There are still lots of cars requesting your email and it says Germany in the listing :evil: