Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Canada64
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Superchatger

Post by Canada64 »

I have a chance to add a supercharger to my 1098 2dr saloon. It does sound like a fun project, with benefits, are there many downsides? I have balanced the reduced circumference of easily local found tyres by moving to a 3.9 differential, however, the cost in getting up to traffic speed quickly has suffered. What has been your experience with with superchargers?
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Superchatger

Post by Blaketon »

You could get hold of a copy of this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Turbocharging- ... 0850594944 .

My father had a blower on a Mini 850 estate and it gave power with good low down torque. That was fitted to a brand new engine (Albeit after running in). I don't think the gearbox liked it too much. You are best advised to make sure the bottom end is good, as the supercharger is working all the time and so the bottom end gets more of a pasting. A turbo is better from that point of view. It is usual to drop the compression ratio with a supercharger and you have to be really careful to avoid pre ignition, otherwise you can soon hole a piston. If it's a Shorrock, remember that they use oil from the engine, which has to be topped back up.
Bowie69
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Bowie69 »

Fuel economy will take a big hit.

You can turbo a 1275 up to ~120hp without internal mods, and much more with better pistons and a drop in compression, and of course a bit of head work will always help things along.

A 998 will get to 90ish BHP with a turbo, would expect not a lot more from a 1098, as they don't have a much stronger bottom end.

From a cost perspective, either NA tune your 1098 to get a bit more oomph or fit a 1275.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Have you read any of the write ups on the Eaton supercharger they seem to do the job
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

There is an article on a 948 blown car in this - https://www.chaters.co.uk/prod/17383/mo ... -portfolio .