Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ampwhu
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

change of keeper - taxing car

Post by ampwhu »

Bought a new car 2 weeks ago. checked online and now DVLA say the vehicle is no longer taxed. I understand this.

so whilst waiting for a new V5 to arrive, it says I can use the green bit of the log book which the new keeper holds onto.

I type the 12 digit number in and it says I can't use it. not valid.

so i'm now unable to drive the ruddy car until a V5 drops on the doormat. what good is that to anyone?

are the plod liable to seize the car on the public road if I drive it whilst it's not taxed and i'm waiting for a V5? the tax is free after all.

thanks you lovely people.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: change of keeper - taxing car

Post by ManyMinors »

Have you tried a Post Office?
It should be possible to use the green slip - that is the purpose of it surely? Last time I changed my car that is what I did and I had no problem.
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

in all honesty, no. there are no post offices left near me as everything is done online these days.
martin418
Minor Fan

Post by martin418 »

i just had the same . i called the dvla and it appears if the v5 change of details has entered the system it voids the green slip so you have to wait , i guess if you tax it when you buy it it's ok
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

would thinks its now recorded as belonging to you via v5 and the date of transfer will be on record so if ,in the highly unlikely chance of being stopped by the police,they will only be interested in insurance and mot,If the vehicle is already recorded as historic vehicle ,exempt for tax,then you don't need to apply,only need to on first time after becoming eligible for historic status.
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by palacebear »

I may be wrong, but isn't there an on-line option to tax it, selecting 'I haven't got the new keeper supplement' (or green slip)?
1956 4-door called Max
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

kennatt wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:22 am If the vehicle is already recorded as historic vehicle ,exempt for tax,then you don't need to apply,only need to on first time after becoming eligible for historic status.
I'm pretty sure that is completely wrong. A "historic vehicle" is NOT exempt for tax meaning that you don't need to tax it. I have just re-taxed one of my Minors. They still need to be taxed and if you do not, you can be fined. My application form states: "It is your responsibility to make sure the vehicle is taxed, even if you don't pay a fee for the vehicle tax".
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

V5 arrived this morning (it would, wouldn't it). so I waited 9 days for dvla to send me the V5. fastest ever for me.

taxed this morning and out and about tomorrow.