Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
surfbum
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Back windows

Post by surfbum »

Hi. Can anyone tell me what is different ,between 948 and 1098 rear windows.I ordered a rear screen rubber from a well known company who say it is for a 1098 and wont fit a 948.I was led to think that all shells after split screen were the same, can anybody confirm this please.

Cheers Keith.

PS ,Its a 62 four door.
minijojo
Minor Fan

Re: Back windows

Post by minijojo »

all non split screen Saloons (56 onwards) should have the same rear window. I would guess they simply reversed the screen rubber if it really does not fit. How did you realize that it does not fit?
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Your understanding is correct. The rear windows are the same for 948 and 1098 models.
surfbum
Minor Friendly

Post by surfbum »

When I ordered it I sent an e-mail to the company to confirm it would fit. They sent me an e-mail back saying it was for 1098 only and would not fit. They still posted it out though?. This is one of the top supplyers to the club so I assumed they know what they are talking about. thats why I asked on the forum. I am changing the head lining and the rear rubber needs replacing anyway.

Cheers Keith.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

This is from the MOSS web site:-

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-m ... aloon.html

Note the change in commission numbers.

There appears to be only one rear seal for the later cars.

surfbum
Minor Friendly

Post by surfbum »

Thanks Phil .

I will try and fit it when it comes. I wont be dealing with that popular company again,which is a shame becouse you rely on the knowledge from supplyers to give you pointers to save time and money.

Cheers Keith.
surfbum
Minor Friendly

Post by surfbum »

Minijojo .I havent fitted it yet it comes on monday. The rubber that is in looked to be a new one but is torn at one of the corners .I was told by a friend who runs several classic cars "Dont scrimp on rubber seals or they will come back to bite you" .I am new to morris minors,but i have an mgb gt so im not a complete novice to restorations.The quality of some MG parts is pityfull and has no relation to the price asked,the expensive stuff is just as crap as the budget parts ,Rubber seals being the worst culprits.

Cheers Keith.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Why don’t you try Baines of Tunbridge, they supply rubber extrusions of all types. They actually make them.

surfbum
Minor Friendly

Post by surfbum »

Thank les ill have a look. Has anyone tryed them?.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I haven’t used then lately but I have bought screen rubbers and other rubber from them in the past, they are a well established company, I have always been happy with the fit and quality. I’ve still got one of their catalogues, it’s amazing the variety of rubber sections they had, and presumable still produce.