potential new purchase

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
shabskay
MMOC Member: No

potential new purchase

Post by shabskay »

Hello, I am looking for some advice please. I have seen a beautiful MM series 11 that is for sale. It really looks lovely and genuine but I would like to pay a professional person to carry out a pre purchase assessment. I have not driven the car - only started it and you never know what is lurking underneath! I just want to make sure that all is good or at least know what needs to be carried out.
Does anyone know of someone who carries out this work? I don't seem to be able to find anything in the magazine. Car is located in Surrey.
Many thanks :)
Myrtles Man
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: potential new purchase

Post by Myrtles Man »

You could try having a word with http://www.chertseyminors.co.uk/index.htm
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

If you know little about these cars, you certainly shouldn't buy one without having it checked over.
Personally I wouldn't recommend purchasing an early model (MM or Series11) as a first Morris Minor. A Minor 1000 will be much more practical and easier to obtain parts for. The earlier cars might seem appealing but are likely to require more regular repair and maintenance work along with the extra complications of actually obtaining the correct arts to keep such old cars going.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Hi Shabskay and welcome to the forum.

Speaking as a Series II owner, I'd agree with ManyMinors' comments.

The Series II has loads of charm, character and looks rather quirky compared with later versions. BUT they're slow and can't be hurried. It's not just the smaller engine either; the overall gearing limits both cruising speed and hill-climbing ability.
My Series II has a 948cc Minor 1000 engine, but currently retains the Series II gearbox and rear axle. The bigger engine makes no difference to speeds in each gear and a comfortable cruising speed of 50-55mph is still the car's limit, as is a maximum speed of around 60mph, with ear-defenders!

Driving a standard 803cc Series II hard, to keep up with traffic, will only shorten its mechanical life.

I'm a very low-mileage driver and seldom stray more than 50 miles from home in my Series II, usually planning a route via quieter roads if possible! 😁

As ManyMinors mentions, some parts for Series II cars are becoming difficult to obtain, which can be frustrating at the best of times. Earlier Series II cars share some body panels and trim with the even earlier Series MM. Many of these components are not available off the shelf.

If you're considering a Series MM, its performance is not much different to that of a standard Series II. With its side-valve engine, Series MM mechanical components are fairly unique to the car and often difficult to find. There are some very skilled and knowledgeable people in the club, who use this forum, and who have been known to make their own Series MM mechanical parts from scratch.

If you want a Series II, try and find one that's had a complete set of Minor 1000 mechanicals fitted (engine, gearbox and rear axle/diff). The 948cc units are easily fitted and, with a bit of fiddling, the original Series II long gear lever can be retained. 1098cc units are pretty much as easy to fit, but retaining the long gear lever isn't quite as easy. The extra speed potential of the 1098cc set-up also really requires the later, larger 8" front brakes to be part of the package at the very least.

Sorry for waffling on so much! Good luck with your search 👍
1956 4-door called Max
Earling Dean

Post by Earling Dean »

palacebear wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:10 am Hi Shabskay and welcome to the forum.

Speaking as a Series II owner, I'd agree with ManyMinors' comments.

The Series II has loads of charm, character and looks rather quirky compared with later versions. BUT they're slow and can't be hurried. It's not just the smaller engine either; the overall gearing limits both cruising speed and hill-climbing ability.
My Series II has a 948cc Minor 1000 engine, but currently retains the Series II gearbox and rear axle. The bigger engine makes no difference to speeds in each gear and a comfortable cruising speed of 50-55mph is still the car's limit, as is a maximum speed of around 60mph, with ear-defenders!

Driving a standard 803cc Series II hard, to keep up with traffic, will only shorten its mechanical life.

I'm a very low-mileage driver and seldom stray more than 50 miles from home in my Series II, usually planning a route via quieter roads if possible! 😁

As ManyMinors mentions, some parts for Series II cars are becoming difficult to obtain, which can be frustrating at the best of times. Earlier Series II cars share some body panels and trim with the even earlier Series MM. Many of these components are not available off the shelf.

If you're considering a Series MM, its performance is not much different to that of a standard Series II. With its side-valve engine, Series MM mechanical components are fairly unique to the car and often difficult to find. There are some very skilled and knowledgeable people in the club, who use this forum, and who have been known to make their own Series MM mechanical parts from scratch.

If you want a Series II, try and find one that's had a complete set of Minor 1000 mechanicals fitted (engine, gearbox and rear axle/diff). The 948cc units are easily fitted and, with a bit of fiddling, the original Series II long gear lever can be retained. 1098cc units are pretty much as easy to fit, but retaining the long gear lever isn't quite as easy. The extra speed potential of the 1098cc set-up also really requires the later, larger 8" front brakes to be part of the package at the very least.

Sorry for waffling on so much! Good luck with your search 👍

Great post....thank you

Regards

Earling