Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Ian_h
MMOC Member: No

Mechanic in Derby?

Post by Ian_h »

Hi, I'm new to the message board.

I bought a Morris Minor 1000 2 door saloon in bits in May and have been putting it back together since. Its essentially back in one piece now. I've insured it, taxed it and driven it (rather carefully, on deserted roads) a few miles without incident...

I've run out of talent with trying to hang the drivers door, I cant get it to fit properly no matter how many times I try.. it will shut on its safety latch but not fully. I don't want to be defeated by the door when everything else has gone ok...

Does anyone know or have any experience of a minor-friendly garage in the Derby area with a real, genuine approachable mechanic who could help me with this?

Its been off the road for a couple of years as well so it could do with a good general look over by someone who understands it better than me (I am by no means an expert).

Thanks.
Ian.
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Mechanic in Derby?

Post by ianmack »

Hello and welcome. Have you fitted new door surround rubber? These are sometimes thicker than they should be and stop the door closing properly.

Can’t help you with Derby mechanics though.
Ian_h

Post by Ian_h »

Yes I have fitted a new surround, I went with the rubber push-on modern version. that could be part of the issue admittedly, but it was cut from the same roll as has been fitted to the passenger side and to be honest I just offered that door up, tightened up the seven bolts and shut the door, good as gold.
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Have you had welding carried out on the drivers side?

Try taking careful measurements from the passenger side and see how it compares to the drivers side.

If that doesn't show up any differences then try fitting the old door seal and see if that improves matters.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

Sadly I'm in North Manchester or I would come and give you a lift.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

The hinges, catch, and "eye" bracket are all adjustable. Worn hinges allow the door to drop, so check that they are OK. The window frame can make a difference. Try loosening the frame fixings or even remocing it to ensure thta the bottom half fits properly. Also try remoiving biots of trim to see where it is catching. Careful use of a hammer or mole grips to adjust a small area of the frame may help.

If you're in Derby, then you could bring it along to the club spares and open day (see Minor Matters) where someone might be able to offer suggestions.
Ian_h

Post by Ian_h »

I know what your saying... I don't think anything's been done in the affected areas.

I think its just time to hand it over to someone who knows what they're doing hence why I'm asking if anyone knows anyone in derby - driving it any further than I have to on its safety latch is unadvisable I think.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Venture Garage at Holbrook is very Minor friendly and don’t overcharge. Owner is called Richard Bacon, he works with his son David.
Ian_h

Post by Ian_h »

Thanks Steve, Holbrook looks achievable...
I will give them a ring and see if they'd be interested in doing the work.