Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mowogg
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Save a Moggy? Can a newcomer do it

Post by mowogg »

I suspect many who slate gasless welding have never really tried.

I have welded up 2 cars with gasless. I find it far more practical for occasional use. I can go many months if not years between jobs.

The quality of welding wire does vary so its certainly worth investigating this if you are having issues.
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

parahandy 15 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:15 pm here is mine to date.. Have no idea where the second picture came from, it's not mine!
Ummmm ..... So why didn't you remove it?? :-?
Basil the 1955 series II

parahandy 15
Minor Friendly

Post by parahandy 15 »

I did try, but it appears to be permanently fixed to my pic. (welded perhaps) The image did not appear on the preview. If anyone can suggest how to delete it I would be very grateful.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

I have Mig welded with shielding gas outside for decades without a problem, as long as it is not blowing a gale. It is expensive to turn the gas flow up, but if you use the larger cylinders, not too expensive.
I have used no/gas mostly on farm machinery where the appearance of the weld does not matter. It gives a scruffy bead, even on thick metal, and it is hard to see the arc because of the smoke . I suspect the slag is corrosive, and you must clean off every scrap of it before painting.
I suspect many budding car restorers have tried a no/gas mig, and been put off welding forever.
I do agree that buying a gas, gas/less mig is a good idea, and that you could finish a job if you ran out of gas, but I would not want to leave too much gas/less weld on my Minor.
Why would you want to put a weld on top of another weld if the first weld is ok?
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

Why would you want to put a weld on top of another weld if the first weld is ok? simply when welding thicker metal (Not talking about thin car bodies,but heavier steel as in some car chassis section) the correct procedure is to grind each edge to an angle to form a V section when both butted up ,then one bead in the bottom of the V the next on top at the edge and another on the top at the opposite edge. Therefor fillling the V top to bottom and forming a weld as thick as the metal. its the only way if you don't have a commercial welder that can take thicker wire and higher settings to get full penetration to the underside of the steel rather than just sticking the two together.
stuffedpike20
Minor Addict

Post by stuffedpike20 »

Yes, not many V butt welds needed on a Minor! I get your point.
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

In my view, anything is possible if you have the time, the money, and are willing to learn. Go ahead, try, but be patient, be willing to take advice and learn from your mistakes, and above all, be prepared for a lighter wallet!
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.