Vin confusion!

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Lewlo93
MMOC Member: No

Vin confusion!

Post by Lewlo93 »

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone can help. The number on my vin dates the car to December ‘54, however when put into the dvla site, it comes up as registered in November ‘54. Any help would be really appreciated!! Thanks everyone!
Last edited by Lewlo93 on Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ianmack
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Vin confusion!

Post by ianmack »

Vehicles registered under the earlier systems were mostly put on the dvla record during the 70s and 80s. In those days there were many inaccuracies and yours is probably a dvla typo.
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

Hello Lewlo93, long time no see.
You never rejoined the conversation about getting your trafficators working viewtopic.php?f=11&t=70242&p=639119#p639119
If you're still thinking of doing that and need more advice, we'll need to know what indicator wiring style is fitted; please rejoin that topic to continue with it..

But back to this problem, I'd say don't worry about it. Even if you can prove anything, where does it get you?
I don't know how you have identified your Chassis Number as being December but if DVLA say it's November, then that'd it as far as they're concerned.
Have you perhaps got a Heritage Certificate that says it's a December car??
It might be wrong.

Forget the Vehicle Check site, it's not infallible, what does the actual V5 Registration Document say?

DVLA records are taken from the old County Council Records. Back in the days of card Log Books, every time you went to a Post Office to tax your car, the Log Book was stamped. There was a limited number of entries and you could end up getting a new Log Book every 8-9 years once all the lines were stamped (if you taxed every 4 mths).
Log Books were hand written, so it's not unlikely that perhaps in 1963, some local authority clerk in the county Vehicle Registration Office made a slip-up completing a new Log Book and that was it.

Or, as ianmack said a short while ago while I was typing this, perhaps it was a typo when converting to the DVLA Database?

If you don't have past records from DVLA, you could apply from them and see what copies of old Log Books they have, but IMHO, the amount of hassle you'll have with DVLA, trying to get them to agree the month is wrong is just not worth it regarding first registration date. If the years was wrong it's worth it perhaps, but not a few days or weeks.

Incidentally, it's really not a good idea to put all your vehicle plate numbers online as it makes it easier for someone to clone your car.
Last edited by geoberni on Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Basil the 1955 series II

Lewlo93
MMOC Member: No

Post by Lewlo93 »

Hi, yes trafficators sorted looking super good and nice and authentic! Thank you! Lots of baby related stuff distracted me! A chap on Facebook has a book with production numbers and said that’s when it would have been made. Yet general feeling is a dvla boo boo. So I won’t worry. Thanks all!