Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cadetchris
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Roll over jigs

Post by cadetchris »

I’ve had an idea about roll over jigs.
We all know they are very useful and also hideously expensive.
So why doesn’t the club invest in a basic one and run a loan scheme. So members pay a deposit, can use the jig for however long, but not silly lengths of time and then it’s either returned to the spares store as a reasonably central location or if the next member in the que is nearby, they arrange collect between themselves.

It wouldn’t need that much admin, members send in a request and are put on the list. When it’s tgere turn, they pay a deposit and collect the frame. When they have finished, they return the frame (which could be verified by the next inline or when it’s returned to stores) and their deposit is refunded it say 90% of it and the remainder goes to cover the initial buying cost. Once that’s covered and provided that the scheme is working, another could be bought.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Re: Roll over jigs

Post by ianmack »

It’s an idea but it might be a bit bureaucratic for the club to keep tabs on it. Other low cost options are to make your own from scrap metal or buy a secondhand one and sell it afterwards, hopefully getting your money back.
Biggles1957
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Biggles1957 »

You can get a good quality one (advertised in several mags) for not much over £100. I suspect that by the time the club had sorted out suitable indemnity insurance and all the associated paperwork it wouldn't be cost effective. IMHO much better just to buy one and sell it afterwards - then you can keep it for as long as you need it - we all know how the jobs that are planned to turn around in a few weeks quickly turn into a few months - then a few more birthdays happen and you get even slower!
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

This is a good idea, but the club also have workshop facilities, are the members able to use these?
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Good thought. This cropped up a couple of years back, I don’t think it was for general use, I could be wrong and things might have changed. Would be interesting to hear more!

parahandy 15
Minor Friendly

Post by parahandy 15 »

It is very easy and inexpensive to make one. (a spit type not a roller)
I got a length of pipe from the scrappie,put it through the heater hole and used plywood bolted to the front suspension mounts and to the crossmember at the rear seats to secure it. Then made 2 timber trestles to support it front and back. I have removed the engine ,gearbox and axle obviously. I will post some pics and hope that they will show it a bit more clearly.
spit .JPG
spit .JPG (117.05 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
so good I attached it twice.
Attachments
spit .JPG
spit .JPG (117.05 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
cadetchris
Minor Legend

Post by cadetchris »

How did you attach it at the front end?
parahandy 15
Minor Friendly

Post by parahandy 15 »

I bolted a piece of timber between the shock absorber mounts ,using the bolts for the shocker ,and then fixed a piece of thick ply with a hole the dia of the pipe onto the timber.
To stop the pipe from rotating ,I bolted a piece of angle to it ,fixed to the ply. (similar to the rear mount ) Hope this helps. Cheers.
parahandy 15
Minor Friendly

Post by parahandy 15 »

I honestly don't know how anyone can do a rebuild without rolling the car over, and have huge respect for those heroes who crawl under to weld and grind,especially out of doors.
As expected, the car ('64 Traveller)is a lot rustier than it first appeared,however looking through some of the past threads it seems about average for the year.
I have got to the stage of replacing the sills on one side now, and welding is a doddle compared to modifying the bits to fit .
When I joined this forum ,it was suggested that I posted on progress, so here we are today... I will clean off the remaining factory primer and reprime when the welding is finished. I am really going through the mig gas at some rate!
Along with the welding I am making a new wood frame, It makes a nice change to metal bashing, although it does take a lot of time.I will post some wood pics when I have something to photograph!

The information on this forum is invaluable and really helps. It would be interesting to see how others are getting on with their restorations.
Attachments
P1010007.JPG
P1010007.JPG (153.61 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
P1010006.JPG
P1010006.JPG (151.1 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
P1010005.JPG
P1010005.JPG (155.7 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
P1010003.JPG
P1010003.JPG (152.61 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
P1010001.JPG
P1010001.JPG (151.12 KiB) Viewed 1365 times