Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Longevity of front tie bars

Post by philthehill »

If your tie rods are original the thread is 3/8" BSF with castellated nut BMC Part No: AJD8406Z.

A good number of thread sizes are listed at the start of the mechanical section including the sizes required for the tie rod castellated nut.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Having stripped the front tie bars off the car today and cleaned them up, ready for a repaint, I found this wear on the passenger side one.
In the past I would have carried on, repainted / refitted them and not worried about it, however since starting this thread out of concerns raised by a friends comments, I thought I would take a picture and get your opinions.

I presume this was down to the poor state of the (original?) rubbers, which have been thrown out and will be replaced with green poly.

So should I repaint and refit or would this be not advisable / a waste of time / good paint?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Attachments
Front passenger tie bar showing wear.JPG
Front passenger tie bar showing wear.JPG (1.29 MiB) Viewed 1003 times
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I have seen worse still being used. The wear is caused by the bar rubbing against the tie bar bracket on the chassis leg.

My advice for what it is worth is to replace the tie bar(s) and rubbers. Check that the location washers are ok especially the holes through the centres. The castellated nut can be replaced with a nylock nut if required.

I would replace the rear bush with a rubber bush for articulation and a poly bush on the front to resist braking forces.

Try and get bushes with the 'top hat' which fits into the tie bar chassis bracket and helps stop the tie bar coming into contact with the tie bar chassis bracket.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Bit the bullet and bought. Best price I could see:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-Minor ... 2749.l2649

Still shows Bull Motif logo but the seller is now altered to ESM, the BM site now defaults to the ESM page too, all a bit sad really.............

So the obvious further question, as I hate to just throw them out, is are my old ones still viable for refurbishment?
I was thinking that, if they are not dangerous, I could put them on my 'free spares to those who need them and whose funds are tight' pile at the next national (along with nuts / washers of course). Not that my funds aren't limited but there are others who are worse off.
Obviously if others think they are I will just bin them.

Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

I would offer them up as spares for refurbishment but make sure that the taker accepts all responsibility for the refurbishment and future use.

Declan_Burns
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by Declan_Burns »

I make my own bushes so I can determine the Shore hardness. They have been on the car since 2011 and no problems.
Regards
Declan
Attachments
P1000590_1.jpg
P1000590_1.jpg (282.66 KiB) Viewed 939 times
Bush_13.jpg
Bush_13.jpg (453.36 KiB) Viewed 939 times

Regards
Declan
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Declan
What Shore hardness do you use i.e. 75 Shore?

paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

I would clean and build up the worn area with weld deposit, weld with TIG, gas or arc (but not MIG or MAG) then file the bar back to round and reuse.
IslipMinor
Minor Legend

Post by IslipMinor »

As Phil has already said, the original tie bar thread is 3/8" BSF, and uses a 3/8"BSF castle nut - please look at the list of thread and spanner sizes, torque settings etc. in the 'Mechanical' section under 'Thread Sizes'.

Not sure where 7/16" UNF comes from?

Getting the split pin in is a bit of a fiddle, and I would have thought that a 3/8" BSF 'Nyloc' nut would do the job well - just don't re-use the nut. Replace with a new one each time it is removed.
Richard

moggy1098
MMOC Member: No

Post by moggy1098 »

There is also Andrew Eggleton for supplying parts. www.morrisminorspareparts.com who is independent and not connected to any other moris minor company , They also produce a lot of quality made gb panels for the correct tooling and correct gauge materials