trafficator switch/steering wheel

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
shabskay
MMOC Member: No

trafficator switch/steering wheel

Post by shabskay »

Hello, I have a 1960 Morris Minor convertible and it has the original flashing trafficators and also someone has fitted new indicators to the rear of the car (very sensible!). My car is being completely restored and I would like the trafficators to work when you use the indicator stalk on the steering wheel. My mechanic says this is not possible due to electrical pulse.
If this is not possible then where should the dial for the trafficators be located and also what should be the correct dial for this car?
Also, I would like to get the steering wheel restored rather than purchasing a new one - any suggestions for good companies?
Many thanks in advance.
jaekl
Minor Addict

Re: trafficator switch/steering wheel

Post by jaekl »

The home market cars and the ones with the later tail lamps with two bulbs had flashing power going through the switch. Cars with trafficators had a switch mounted under the dash. It's a lever that you flip left or right to power the trafficator. Earlier cars with flashing indicators like USA models had a 8-way relay to separate the turn signal light function from the brake light function when required. In this case solid power is going through the switch on the steering wheel column. If you want to use factory components, you would need this 8-way relay and the harness to go with it and add wires from the switch to the trafficators. Another way would be to change the wiring such that the switch on the steering wheel column activates relays, one for the flashing lights and one for the trafficators.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Assuming your car was a UK supplied car, the trafficators on a 1960 model (there is no such thing as "original flashing trafficators", the trafficators simply lifted up, lit up, and then went down when switched off) were operated by the column switch with a green warning lamp on the end. From what you say, this switch now operated flashing indicators. To incorporate the trafficators into the same system using the same switch is fairly easy. You simply take two live wires from each side of the switch (the left and right side). One live wire then runs directly to the trafficator and the other runs via a flasher unit to the flashing indicators for that side. For this system to operate you therefore require 2 flasher units.

It was only the earlier cars with a split windscreen which used a switch under the dashboard to operate the trafficators. Minor 1000s (1956 onwards) used a column switch/stalk.
shabskay

Post by shabskay »

ManyMinors wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:35 pm Assuming your car was a UK supplied car, the trafficators on a 1960 model (there is no such thing as "original flashing trafficators", the trafficators simply lifted up, lit up, and then went down when switched off) were operated by the column switch with a green warning lamp on the end. From what you say, this switch now operated flashing indicators. To incorporate the trafficators into the same system using the same switch is fairly easy. You simply take two live wires from each side of the switch (the left and right side). One live wire then runs directly to the trafficator and the other runs via a flasher unit to the flashing indicators for that side. For this system to operate you therefore require 2 flasher units.

It was only the earlier cars with a split windscreen which used a switch under the dashboard to operate the trafficators. Minor 1000s (1956 onwards) used a column switch/stalk.
Hi, many thanks for your help and advice. To confirm, my car is UK supplied with original trafficators. At a later date someone fitted rear indicators and these work by the original column switch with a green flashing lamp at the end. I would like to get my mechanic to wire up the trafficators so that when you use the column switch both the rear indicators and trafficators work at the same time. Is this possible?? Thank you again for your advice
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Yes it is, jaekl mentions the relay you would require. It is a Lucas DB 10.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

shabskay wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:45 am My mechanic says this is not possible due to electrical pulse.
That's the trouble these days, you just can't get garage mechanics that 'know things'. :wink:
Any automotive electrician could work it out in his sleep.
There's been some topics discussing this on here recently. See here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=70242&hilit=indicators

The size of the job depends on what electrical harness is now fitted.
For example, my '55 had the separate switch for the trafficators, but in more recent times, when the Indicators were installed, they rewired the car with the Relay system ManyMinors speaks of, the one that was on the 61-63 version of indicators.
So there's options available, it just depends on the wiring you have at present.
Basil the 1955 series II

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:44 pm Yes it is, jaekl mentions the relay you would require. It is a Lucas DB 10.
The DB10 Relay route is an excessively complicated way of doing it if separate indicators are already installed.
The whole purpose of the DB10 was to flash the brake light circuits, by flashing the individual (left or right) brake light 'on' if the brakes were not being operated and 'off' if they were.

Trust me, Basil has a bastardised DB10 system that was adapted to work individual indicators rather than flash the brake light.
Basil the 1955 series II

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

JOWETTJAVELIN wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:44 pm Yes it is, jaekl mentions the relay you would require. It is a Lucas DB 10.
NO!! That isn't what you require to get the trafficators and the flashers to work off the same switch! That is the relay used to make the brakelights flash instead of adding orange indicators. The DB10 relay is nothing to do with the working of trafficators. I had already explained that it is a fairly simple job to operate both systems from the original switch: You have to use 2 standard flasher units :wink:
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

shabskay wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:39 pm
ManyMinors wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:35 pm Assuming your car was a UK supplied car, the trafficators on a 1960 model (there is no such thing as "original flashing trafficators", the trafficators simply lifted up, lit up, and then went down when switched off) were operated by the column switch with a green warning lamp on the end. From what you say, this switch now operated flashing indicators. To incorporate the trafficators into the same system using the same switch is fairly easy. You simply take two live wires from each side of the switch (the left and right side). One live wire then runs directly to the trafficator and the other runs via a flasher unit to the flashing indicators for that side. For this system to operate you therefore require 2 flasher units.

Hi, many thanks for your help and advice. To confirm, my car is UK supplied with original trafficators. At a later date someone fitted rear indicators and these work by the original column switch with a green flashing lamp at the end. I would like to get my mechanic to wire up the trafficators so that when you use the column switch both the rear indicators and trafficators work at the same time. Is this possible?? Thank you again for your advice
If you read my original post again, It DOES explain how to do exactly that. It is a simple job if you use 2 flasher units.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

If a 1960 it would have had the earlier type indicator / horn push switch, with the green bulb in the switch body.

When I bought my 1957 in 1978, trafficators and horn worked off the original switch and aftermarket indicators were operated by a second stalk from a later Minor on the other side.

It now has only the trafficators with the flashing led festoon bulbs the light being in the speedo as original.
Attachments
D5419251-CBB6-46F6-A373-C200D6A6EF35.jpeg
D5419251-CBB6-46F6-A373-C200D6A6EF35.jpeg (28.67 KiB) Viewed 2146 times
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Although the switch pictured above would have been correct for your 1957 car Mr Firedrake, it would NOT be correct for a 1960 model.
The later type of self cancelling indicator stalk with the green warning light on the end was introduced in March 1959. (Chassis number 705622 according to the parts book) :wink:
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Absolutely correct and I have just checked in Ray Newell's Book. However we have a later 1960 blue 2 door in the branch with the earlier type switch / horn control - light on indicator body not on speedo- looks original too! Possibly a ‘what is in the parts bin on the day, model?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

firedrake1942 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:38 am Absolutely correct and I have just checked in Ray Newell's Book. However we have a later 1960 blue 2 door in the branch with the earlier type switch / horn control - light on indicator body not on speedo- looks original too! Possibly a ‘what is in the parts bin on the day, model?
Highly unlikely. BMC were a huge concern ordering parts 1000s at a time. They wouldn't have earlier parts in the parts bin and to fit an earlier switch would entail using the earlier steering column, steering wheel, horn contact set, steering wheel centre etc etc.......
Similarly, it would only be possible to fit the early switch aftermarket by fitting the whole column and wheel which is possible but perhaps unlikely? If you want to follow it up, check the chassis number and remember that many cars registration dates and build dates are some way apart for a variety of reasons. A large number of parts on these cars (including all the glass for example) can be accurately dated from codes used in manufacture.
viewsonic1
Minor Fan

Post by viewsonic1 »

Can't help with the electrical side, but I refurbished my steering wheel myself. I bought a cheap one from ebay, rubbed it down filling any stress cracks and sprayed it gloss black with a rattle can. Then several coats of clear lacquer gave it a deep gloss shine! This is the two spoke tho', is yours the banjo type?
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

'shabskay'- As mentioned above it is, of course, possible to get both the trafficators and the flashing indicators to work off the same switch. However, you may wish to consider that it is not always desirable to have trafficators flicking out every time you want to indicate. They are quite vulnerable to being damaged, especially when situated low down as on your convertible. I have seperate switches for the two systems, meaning I can use either at any time. Your call, of course, but just something to consider in making your decision.