Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Spicemad
MMOC Member: No

1968 Traveller for restoration

Post by Spicemad »

Hi there,

I've got a 68 Traveller in my garage which belonged to my father in law. He bought it in 1977 and it was the family car until about 1990 i think. It's been my intention for years to start a restoration but I never seem to find the time (or the money). Unfortunately I now have to let it go but I have no idea where to start.

We did start it up, probably 8 -10 years ago but it's never even turned over since then. The tyres are all perished/flat and I can't even roll it out of the garage to take some photos or to let someone have a proper look at it. I don't think it's in too bad a condition (compared to some unrestored travellers I've seen on line).

What's the best course of action to get it sold and ensure that I get a fair price for it? I don't mind spending a little money to do what's required to get people interested.

Thanks in advance for any (useful) suggestions.

I'm situated in Hatfield , Herts

Mike
midget
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 1968 Traveller for restoration

Post by midget »

Hi, get some air in the tyres, roll it outside, take lots of pics and advertise it either on here/facebook page/or in desperation, Ebay.
John
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: 1968 Traveller for restoration

Post by geoberni »

Hi Mike
Well the 1st thing is to get some photos.
Just because the tyres are flat & perished, doesn't mean they wouldn't hold enough air to push/pull it out for some photos. Don't inflate them too much, just about 8-10 PSI should be enough to see if you can roll it.
Chances are the brakes will be rusted on, but they should free up. A few thumps with a wooden/plastic mallet on the wheel (not on the chrome hub trim) can help.
If it looks as reasonable as you say, you could even try pulling it out of the garage with another car, just make sure the rope is around something substantial like the back axle!
Basil the 1955 series II